3D settings in Autocad R14

Akar

Hi,

I'm trying to draw a 3D object in Autocad 14. I know how to extrude, union, subtract and intersect. My problem is I'm trying to draw a line on one of my 3D objects in order to properly align another 3D object with it using the osnap settings (I want to eventually union them together when I have them aligned the way I want), but the program won't let me draw an ortho line in the XZ or YZ planes. It will only let me draw anything in the XY plane. I figure there is some setting I have set up wrong but I've been scouring the book for hours and I can't figure out what it is. I prefer to not use coordinates if possible... any help?

Also, and I don't know if this has any connection to my above problem, but filleting and trimming in 3D is also not working for me.

I'm running the program on a windows computer with 2GB of ram.

Thanks for your responses!!

If you are sure that it's exactly in the xz or yz plane, you can draw the line at whatever length you need, then do a "rotate3d" to position it.

Yes and I tried that but it didn't seem to have any effect on my issue.

If you re-orient your UCS, you do realize that you'll still be drawing in x-y, only in the new UCS. Your ucs icon will rotate/move with the ucs. In other words, if you for instance rotate the ucs 90° about the y axis, your new x-axis will be parallel to the original z-axis, but the icon will indicate the new x-y directions.

Hello Akar,

Jack hit the nail on the head with his answer, AutoCAD will by default always draw on the current UCS plane. That can be overridden by entering relative coordinates during line construction (but not circles, arcs, etc) So the solution is to always reorient the ucs to the plane you wish to draw on.

I have a lisp routine called AutoUCS.lsp that can really help in manipulating the ucs that is free and can be downloaded from my web site - there is a YouTube video demonstrating how it can be used. I work with R14 so you don't need to worry about if it will work for you.

Filleting and trimming lines and arcs in 3D can be tricky - it also is related to the UCS

One other thing, hopefully you are working in 3d with you UCSICON on at all time so you know what plane you are working in. That is essential.