Couple questions about starting a typical details sheet?

Gmalone12

I'm starting a file that I am going to put typical equipment and instruments so we can use over and over.

Should I start this in imperial units or Metric?

Also, What text size should I use?

Thanks in advance

-Gary

Do you use Imperial or metric in your drawings? If both then create two files, this will make inserting easier. In Text Style, I use 0.0000 for height and in Multileader and Dimension Styles I use 0.180. for Imperial

SLW210,

Why would you use .0000 for text height? I use .1 for my text height, Gmalone12. We typically print on 8.5 x 11s and 11 x 17s.

I guess I'll use Metric. I started it just now and the default text size was 2.5 so I stuck with that. It's a good size compared to the blocks I bring in.

Thanks for the help guys

SLW210,

Why would you use .0000 for text height? I use .1 for my text height, Gmalone12. We typically print on 8.5 x 11s and 11 x 17s.

From AutoCAD Help...

If you specify a fixed height as part of a text style, the Height prompt is bypassed when you create single-line text. When the height is set to 0 in the text style, you are prompted for the height each time you create single-line text. Set the value to 0 if you want to specify the height as you create text.

I like to set my own text height as I go. I will have some large text for Headings and smaller text for a sub-heading and another for attributes. Just a habit, to keep it set to 0 in the style.

The company you are trying to assist does not maintain any written "standards" for their drawings? Even companies still tied to doing manual drawings will usually have some standards they tend to follow. Have you inquired?

I would prefer to help you come to a decision that works well for you and your company.

What is your background? How much experience with AutoCAD and/or AutoCAD P&ID do you have?

What size sheets will you ultimately be printing to?

Use whatever text size you use normally for standard detail text. Likewise with the units. It is your choice. Irregardless of what anyone says here, you will be the one ultimately using these, so set them up how you like and how you commonly use/would use them.

Hey sorry about the delay I was out of town for the weekend. We will be printing on 11x17 and I have 5 years of autocad experience, with 2 of them being P&ID.

Whatever size you elect to use on your drawings just make sure that when you print to 11x17 sheet size the text is still readable.

Theres a post here about drawing standards have a look at that, generally the "industry" has guidelines regarding drafting done by some form of government authority find some of thier drawings. We have an international recognised Australian standard drafting practices AS1100 part 101.

Lots of examples

Edited by BIGAL