BIM Implementation

HVAC&R

I am a self employed HVAC detail drafter from Perth, Australia. I produce HVAC shop drawings for shopping centres, office blocks and other buildings. Today I discovered BIM for the first time, as one of my major clients is embracing the new paradigm. At first glance, this appears to be an invasion from the east coast and from overseas. I have profitably and happily drafted for 12 years in a very basic and simple 2d format. Currently the industry standard in Perth for architects, electrical, fire and hydraulic is 2d, although for some years we have had 3d structural models. Some mechanical design consultants are using Revit, but the quality of work produced leaves much to be desired. Obviously BIM implementation won't happen overnight, but it is coming as the architects and developers can see the savings.

It seems that my major client and their competitor have chosen Cadduct over Revit MEP. I will be able to continue in my current 2d world for the foreseeable future but BIM specification is imminent for certain projects.

I am looking for discussion to learn from more experienced users in this area, so that I can develop my future strategy.

Thanks

I would recommend AutoCAD MEP and not Revit MEP, and surely not CAD-Duct. We have all three at my office and let me explain briefly the differences.

• AutoCAD MEP: It is AutoCAD with a 3D Mechanical HVAC & Piping packaged with it (along with electrical, plumbing, etc but you would be worried about only the HVAC & Piping). The learning curve is small, since it still works off the AutoCAD core. It is still AutoCAD underneath so you can create good, 3D BIM quality models and still use it for your 2D plan view shop drawings. Plus you can still seamlessly use all your existing blocks, details, titleblocks, etc.
  • Revit MEP: This is an engineering app for mechanical and electrical engineers. In the HVAC/Piping trade, this program offers extensive tools to run loads, calculate CFMs and other mathematical formulas with equipment and units, etc. This is not a "drafting" tool. You can't just start drawing, it's all 3D object based. You can integrate AutoCAD with it but only in reference (existing details, architectural backgrounds, etc). The only time I recommend this is ONLY when you have a Revit architectural model to utilize the full capabilities of this program. Not recommended unless your clients demand it, or you're going to be doing engineering.
  • CAD-Duct: This is a very expensive app that is known as "design to fab" software. At my company we have a duct fabrication shop and we build our own ductwork. CAD-Duct is the software that links the 3D design and the fab shop, taking the place of our shop manager doing a manual takeoff. I would recommend this only if you will be working directly with a duct manufacturer but even then, you're doing their work for them. I would not recommend this either.

The market pushes BIM to be this huge process and in some cases, it is. But mostly right now, BIM is simply the collaboration of 3D models in numerous interference sessions to coordinate among each trade. Scheduling data, construction schedules, real-world 3D as-builts, complete 3D models with reference to every single piece of equipment, valve, electrical outlet, etc is only being done by few in this world that I know of. Some would argue that there are more but I don't believe so.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. I also can provide a ton of links to research up on AutoCAD MEP, videos, etc to visually understand what the capability of the program offers.

I also noticed just now you put this in the Revit forum. Let me clear this up for you, Revit is not BIM. BIM, or Building Information Modeling, is an entire process and a design application is only one piece of the puzzle. A lot of people mistake Revit as BIM and it's not. It is the closest application in providing the information part of BIM, but the program lacks a real world catalog of parts, fittings, and tools used for true as-builts. It is getting better though.

Thanks StykFacE, the info you provided was a great help. I can see the benefits for my client in using Cadduct as they have their own fab shop, while I am a one man band. In the seminar I attended today they talked about the drafting allocation to a project using BIM being double what it is currently with the increased modeling and coordination efforts. The idea is that this different and increased role from the drafter produces larger savings elsewhere in the building delivery process. Also having a totaly integrated model to hand the client at the end of the project is meant to enhance facilities management longer term. They say that this is desirable to the client and developer.

There is one company in Perth currently using BIM on a major hospital project. There is also an organisation in Australia called the Air Conditioning and Mechanical Contractors' Association of Australia who is advocating the adoption of BIM. Apparently by the end of this year they will have finalised national standards and protocols. I have also downloaded the US National Building Information Modeling Standard for further research.

If you could post some of those links on AutoCad MEP that would be great. First I need to manage the transition to 3d. I would rather have this capability sorted at an early stage.

This is all totaly new to me!

Thanks again.

I still would not recommend CAD-Duct since the only time it would be beneficial is if every other trade is utilizing BIM and it is guaranteed the construction companies will install it exactly how the BIM model works. Even then, there still will be human error on where equipment is located, where hangers are set, tight spaces, etc so the designing process becomes a nightmare unless it's done in-house. Since you are a one man band, CAD-Duct will be far too much to handle, trust me. I am not judging your capabilities, only talking from experience is all. Companies that utilize CAD-Duct have 10+ drafters, so multiple designers can take certain areas of the same project. Plus, you have to really understand how a duct manufacturing shop works. Every single detail regarding manufacturing duct has to be inputted in the parameters or it won't work.

Using CAD-Duct as a "sub", then the construction company is putting all the trust in you to read the specs of the job, make sure all parameters are set up properly, then if there is any mistake it's your butt, not theirs. I would really stray from CAD-Duct. To me, the only time this is beneficial is for companies only with a duct manufacturing shop, not individual designers or drafters. Too much liability rests on whoever is using the program.