Video Cards MEP 2012 and future

DIW_HDsupply

Here is a recent thread and post: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?58493-Computer-Build&p=400648&viewfull=1#post400648

Shows there that there's not much different between gaming and workstation cards. Some situations the cheaper gaming cards were faster, unless you're in a shaded mode in AutoCAD. Look at the links f700 provided. Really good info. ;)

My current issue is that i am having to justify my choice of video card to IT. They want to stick me in a HP RP 6000 it's a small form factor case and the best video card they can muster is...

1 NVIDIA Quadro 600 - graphics adapter - Quadro 600 - 1 GB

While this doesn't seem BAD... there is no room in this case for upgrading... if the card mentioned above is inadequate.. then my company will have to purchase yet another machine and it will take yet another 2-6 weeks for delivery.. assuming I can run with it at that point..

I don't want to find out 6 weeks from now.. that I'm going to have to re-request a new PC and wait another 6 weeks for a replacement. I'm having major ram issues now.

Quadro 600 is a waste. My advice to you is this: Stick to your guns. Go above their heads. Walk into a supervisor's office and explain to them why a $500 in price means the WORLD of difference in your ability to be as efficient as possible. It's their investment, nor yours. You work for them. ;)

Justify it by going with a gaming card. A $200 gaming card will provide a ton more performance than that 600 in my opinion. Especially the type of work you are doing.

Quadro 600 is a waste. My advice to you is this: Stick to your guns. Go above their heads. Walk into a supervisor's office and explain to them why a $500 in price means the WORLD of difference in your ability to be as efficient as possible. It's their investment, nor yours. You work for them. ;)

Justify it by going with a gaming card. A $200 gaming card will provide a ton more performance than that 600 in my opinion. Especially the type of work you are doing.

Yes, but how do I justify it in terms they will understand... $$ right now IT looks at me like I'm a child kicking and screaming for the bigger toy.

If I can state in terms they can understand I'll have ground.. but rattling off that it just isn't good enough.. and stomping my feet just won't do it. I am out of ideas. That's why I come here.

Ask the IT guy to walk up to the foreman in the field and explain to him that they're taking away his best tool that he can do his job with and see where that gets him. Your computer is your tool. You are not replying to emails and filling in Excel boxes. It's not up to "them" as far as I would be concerned. I have had to do it before at my last company and the IT guy couldn't stand it when he was ordering my HP workstation because to him he "lost the battle". I didn't give a crap and neither should you. You are working in a complete 3D environment with an application that runs close to 300MB just at startup, let alone the 1GB+ it can climb when working on a big model. RAM, Video, Processor, etc - it's all vital. You can't beef up 2 out of those 3 components and call it a day. All three have to be good.

From what I gather it's not about convincing your IT guy because he doesn't care. So convincing won't work, which means you'll just have to go above him in my opinion. Let me know how the talk goes when you do it. ;)

Tell IT that if they supply you with a subpar system that results in the inability for you to perform your job in a timely manner that it will be on them. Let them know that all your down time will be charged to IT, also.

I got a Quatro 4000 a few weeks ago, I love it! I can "realistic" render about 20,000 square foot of sheet metal and run through it in ACAD, almost like NAVIS..

I got a Quatro 4000 a few weeks ago, I love it! I can "realistic" render about 20,000 square foot of sheet metal and run through it in ACAD, almost like NAVIS..

Good to heare about the Quatro 4000... I'm excited to get my hands on one.

IT didn't bite, so we're going higher up... Managers wanted to go rogue, and bypass IT, but I need network access, and server access. So we're going higher up. And we are bringing a Dell Assembled PC with us.. T3500 with a quad core XEON and the Quatdro 4000 2 HD's and 16GB of ram.. just under 4K. IT doesn't have to maintian it.. they just have to prep it for access to the network. Also looking to find a discounted reseller of MEP 2012.. we got a network license and it's 1yr is about up.. There are several download sites, but few who will ship a physical Case and DVD. We want the official case and DVD. BUt honestly, If we can't find it reduced we'll still have to get it. Just not a network license.. to much of a pain to maintain and work with on the VPN network.

Be careful about the reduced software. That's usually 99% a scam. The only discount I've ever seen would have been just a few hundred bucks is all. And you can get the physical media from any reseller... just get a demo case with the media and use the serial that Autodesk emails you. It's all the same software no matter what.

Be careful about the reduced software. That's usually 99% a scam. The only discount I've ever seen would have been just a few hundred bucks is all. And you can get the physical media from any reseller... just get a demo case with the media and use the serial that Autodesk emails you. It's all the same software no matter what.

Point taken, and we're not going to be taking any risks. I just had the same conversation with my manager, but let him know, if we get an official stand alone copy, it doesn't have a shelf life like the network license. He seemed to like that, and did not seem to have a consern about the price for MEP. He genuinly wants to get me the right tools to do the job. And your right about the demo CD I have the 2012 CD from the network install.. it's the same, just need a stand alone license key. I'm not happy with our local reseller, we may just purchase directly from autodesk.

I think this is subject for a different thread, so I'm going to cut it here.....