applying excel-type formulaes to dwgs with dimensions

jalba

Ok people, got a weird one for y'all

Now I know when we do our drawings, and we set our dimension lines, everything's already mentioned.

Now in my field I tend to use one drawing for alternating dimensions eg: I draw a frame measuring 24 x 24, but then I may use that same drawing for a measurement of 23 3/4" x 22". There will also be measurements that will also derive from these i.e. outer working in.

I know the first suggestion will be to re-scale the drawing to get the appropiate dimensions, but I would like to know if there was a way to apply formulaes, just as if you was making formuales for an Excel sheet.

Attached is one of my drawings. As you can see, I have to leave the dimensions blank so that I can write in the differing measurements.

Any assistance in grateful.

15266.dwg

Try Parametric Constraints with Parametric Dimensions - this will allow some formulas for the elevation window but not for the section views.

I don't think you will be able to do much more than that

Another is dynamic blocks but not sure about the formulas.

hmmm....parametric constraints.

i'll look into it. Know any threads that could give any tutorials?

btw...don't worry about the sections.

ok, so i had a quick read of the dimension constraints and i tried to experiment with one that i created. (see attached diagram)

Now, when i amended the outer width (eg. i entered "48") you can see the frame adjust. However, when i try to adjust the height with a different measurement, only the top right hand corner comes down.

Am i doing something wrong here?

Drawing2.dwg

hmmm....will try it. May take me a while to get accustomed to it so expect a quick answer. I'm in transition to a new job.