Setting dimscale in separate viewports

nicnicman

Is it possible to change the dimscale in one specific viewport but not in the other viewport(s)? In the attached drawing I have one view port showing the entire drawing and the other viewport showing a zoomed in portion of the same drawing. In the zoomed in portion the dimensions where also magnified at the same scale as the rest of the portion. I would like to zoom everything except the dimensions in order to keep them the same size throughout the drawing.

I have been instructed to dimension in model space but maybe the best solution is to dimension in paperspace.

Any thoughts?

Nick

dimension styles are fixed per scale per style but can be set up to be annotative. try to explore annotative dimensioning to have uniformity of the dimension in terms of text height, arrow head, extensions, etc.

I use to have to dim in model space at my old job until we switched our standsrds to only dim in paperspace (the best way btw) and the way we got around this problem was to have different layers for the different scales of dims for the viewport and just froze the layers we werent using. So we would have several dims of the same entity in model space but only the one we needed to show up in our viewport would show. But one of the bad things about this is that if one of the dims changes then you would have to change several of them and we would have alot of different scales (1:10, 1:20, 1:50, etc.).

And that's why annotative dimensioning was instituted so you wouldn't have to have different layers for different dimensions. For every problem there is a solution and for every solution there is a problem.

I always dimension in modelspace and make them annotative. This is the best solution for different layouts. It prevents having to make different layers for different scales.

Couldnt have put it any other or better way Mr. ReMark. I was just giving an example of an solution if dims in paperspace was not an option for nicnicman as it previously was for me. I use to get into quite a bit of shouting matches with my bosses about this very issue. People are hard to accept change eventhough the change is needed and proven. So i just bit the bullet untill i got into a position of authority and changing dims from model space to paperspace was one of my first standards. I would encourage nicnicman to voice his opininon to whomever is instructing him to dim in model space that it is not the most efficient way to go about it.

If there is already a company standard in place then change will be at a glacial pace. Can't really blame them. Someone has to prove beyond a doubt that they have the better solution. It also depends on who taught you AutoCAD too. Did you learn one-on-one at the side of the only other CAD tech working for the company or did you attend a class given by an authorized reseller or at a local college with a roomful of other people by someone who had worked "in the field" of CAD?

Did you learn one-on-one at the side of the only other CAD tech working for the company or did you attend a class given by an authorized reseller or at a local college with a roomful of other people by someone who had worked "in the field" of CAD?

I had a little of all 3 personally. My teacher in highschool who introduced me to CAD (or a similar program to CAD cant remember) was a former teacher and salesman of CAD who had come to our school and gave a presentation about a future booming market for "Cad Operators" (this was back in the early to mid 90's) and was hired by the school after the great reception. I then attended college to get an associates in CAD (among other degrees) and my first job i shadowed the "Head CAD drafter" for about a month before getting my own jobs to work on.

I've heard convincing arguments from both sides but I am not experienced enough to make my own decision as to which method is better. For the time being I will conform although I will suggest dimensioning in paperspace.

All my dimensions and most labels are in layout, if need be that they are in model space just use the CHSPACE command to switch them from layout to model,(this also works vice versa). this is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay easier to work with.

I remember before I came enterd where I work now, they used to have a standards file w/c had standard dimension and text heights from scales 1:2m to 1:100,000m... that was a long list of scales, text heights and dimension styles. I could only imagine how long it must have been for them to finish that file, or the looks on their faces when I taught them about the paper space and all its advantages :))

• 2 weeks later...

My preference is to dimension for myself and any draughtsman who my use the file after me in model space on a seperate "Model Dims" layer, I also use a "Model Notes" layer to add my own notes regarding how the drawing was created, any critical design criteria etc as I tend to get pushed and pulled from drawing to drawing and forget some of the weird stuff I get up to. Makes the editing and modifying of the drawing easier in the future.

I add dims specific to who the printed layout is intended for to paperspace (turning off the model dims and notes in the layout).

I like the annotative stuff but don't use it a lot yet.