Selecting an object, selects another object simultaneously.

khoshravan

Dear All

Something odd happens to my file (attached file). When I select a blue line in square on right-bottom side of the drawing, the same square with same color is selected in the upper-left drawing as well!. I have drawn one of these drawings and then copied.

Why do I face such an odd behavior? I noticed this, when I tried to copy all three drawings and find out that the blue square didn't copy.

equilateral-square.dwg

These objects are in a "group"...

from the help files:

A group is a saved set of objects that you can select and edit together or separately as needed. Groups provide an easy way to combine drawing elements that you need to manipulate as a unit. You can create them quickly and with a default name.

TipGroups are useful in associating 3D solids when you do not want to combine them with a Boolean operation.

You can change the components of groups as you work by adding or removing objects.

In some ways, groups resemble blocks, which provide another method of combining objects into a named set. For example, the groups you create are saved from session to session. However, you can edit individual objects in groups more easily than you can edit them in blocks, which must be exploded first. Unlike blocks, groups cannot be shared with other drawings.

These objects are in a "group"...

from the help files:

A group is a saved set of objects that you can select and edit together or separately as needed. Groups provide an easy way to combine drawing elements that you need to manipulate as a unit. You can create them quickly and with a default name.

TipGroups are useful in associating 3D solids when you do not want to combine them with a Boolean operation.

You can change the components of groups as you work by adding or removing objects.

In some ways' date=' groups resemble blocks, which provide another method of combining objects into a named set. For example, the groups you create are saved from session to session. However, you can edit individual objects in groups more easily than you can edit them in blocks, which must be exploded first. Unlike blocks, groups cannot be shared with other drawings.[/quote']

DearJack

Thanks. It helped a lot. First I draw a square with four separate lines and grouped them to make them one entity for ease of manipulation. Later I copied this square. The second square should be an independent entity and editing 2nd square should not have effect on the first one.

It seams that the 2nd square is not recognized by AutoCAD as an independent entity to copy/move it. selecting it, will select the original grouped object, which sound odd to me. Or there might be a command to control this behavior. After copying a group, I want it to be an independent entity so that I can edit it.

Your help is highly appreciated.

Edited by khoshravan
add last paragraph

from the help files again (accessed by pressing F1):

To control whether all grouped objects can be selected individually

Do one of the following:

• At the Command prompt, enter pickstyle. Enter 1 to turn on group selection. Objects within groups can be selected as a group only, not individually.
  • At the Command prompt, enter pickstyle. Enter 0 to turn off group selection. Objects within groups can be selected individually only, not as a group.
  • At any time, turn group selection on and off by pressing either Ctrl+H or Ctrl+Shift+A.

I don't see the point of drawing 4 individual lines to make a square, then making that square a group, then copying the group, and then having them be individual lines again. Skip grouping them, issue the copy command, pick the 4 lines and have done. It seems like you are making a lot of unnecessary steps for yourself.

The whole point in groups is to be able to edit everything in the group at once. If you want them to be individual items after you copy them, why group them in the first place?