Is Revit MEP 2012 any good for my application??

raj banerjee

Hello peeps,

well as above really, my background is mainly in using autodesk mep 2008. I have recently started a contract for a large industrial factory where they want to draw all the piping services which are curently installed. The method they are currently using is by using normal autocad and drawing in plan, then starting a fresh drawing from scratch for elevations. From my experience in mep I found it a lot quicker to draw in mep and create a model as one the model is drawn, views and elevation and so fast to create.

My question is, I remember mep had a great library of valves and pipe accessories pre installed, does revit have the same?

And do you think it is worth me learning the revit mep 2012 package as the company have the option to purchase it.

Any advise would be most greatful

Kind regards

Raj

Revit MEP doesn't have the content that AutoCAD MEP has out of the box, but you can find the Revit families from a lot of manufacturers nowadays. Revit MEP is gaining momentum in this category though.

Here's a potential problem I see with your situation. Revit MEP works best only if there's a Revit Architectural model to go along with it. AutoCAD MEP is great because you can simply open a drawing file and "draw". Revit is different. Revit has objects that represent real world items and if Revit doesn't have something you need, say a type of fitting or a piece of equipment, then you have to model the Revit family yourself. Also, Revit objects are constrained to something, a level/wall/ceiling/etc. Everything is in Revit. I'm afraid you might be doing a lot of extra and unnecessary work just to use Revit, but then again I don't know your exact situation either.

Hope this helps some. :)

many thanks for the replies peeps,

that is a very good point regarding the revit compatability, I am now downloading autocad mep trial version so I can have a play with that, I think that will be the best choice for this application. Im much happier using mep as well, although the last version I used was 2009 I think.

Has it changed much??

Thanks again

many thanks for the replies peeps,

that is a very good point regarding the revit compatability, I am now downloading autocad mep trial version so I can have a play with that, I think that will be the best choice for this application. Im much happier using mep as well, although the last version I used was 2009 I think.

Has it changed much??

Thanks again

They're really pushing the Ribbon Interface in 2012 now. 2009 still gave you the old school MEP Toolbars which are gone. All Ribbon now. Also, for any routing, instead of the little dialog box popping up with the route settings it's all done through the Properties Palette now. I like it better the more I use it. Other than that everything's pretty much the same.

They're really pushing the Ribbon Interface in 2012 now. 2009 still gave you the old school MEP Toolbars which are gone. All Ribbon now. Also, for any routing, instead of the little dialog box popping up with the route settings it's all done through the Properties Palette now. I like it better the more I use it. Other than that everything's pretty much the same.

I like the sound of that, its been downloading since my last post and has 2 hours to go lol

I shall report back once ive had a play

right chaps its finally downloadded and is pretty similar to what I have been used to bar the ribbon changes. One question though, I want to put in some columns or stantions, when I use the structural columns tool it puts in a squar column, is there a way to get it to display the h shape if that makes sense?

cheers

right chaps its finally downloadded and is pretty similar to what I have been used to bar the ribbon changes. One question though, I want to put in some columns or stantions, when I use the structural columns tool it puts in a squar column, is there a way to get it to display the h shape if that makes sense?

cheers

An I beam perhaps is what you mean?

I don't use MEP though so may be well off track.