How to create this in 3D

CAnnondale

Sorry I dont have IV anymore but i gave this a quick shot in Solidworks for you. I tried a few different methods and in the end I would probably draw the dies used to form that piece to be really accurate, but i was able to get it pretty close with surfaces and then thickening them. I have uploaded an iges version of it for you to look at.

dresser coupling2.jpg

Dresser coupling.zip

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CAnnondale

• shift1313

• rdharvey

• pluissand

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes yes yessssss EXCELENT!!!!

SHIFT1313 You definitly did it let me ask you.... How???

Because I think that I made it something wrong

sorry about my english guys :(

It was fairly simple how i did it. Here is an image with the feature tree. I just drew this one in a few minutes.

1.draw the bolt "tab" and made a surface-Fill

2.draw an arc that represents the flat section and make an extruded surface. For me i used 8 bolts so this flat section was 22.5degrees off vertical.

3.draw a boundary surface between the two tabs making sure there is tangency.

4.mirror this boundary surface across the mid-plane

5.circular pattern of the filled surface, extruded surface and two boundary surfaces to complete the "ring"

6.revolved surface to make up the rest of the coupler

7.knit(stitch) these surfaces together.

8.thicken

9.cut 1 bolt hole

10.circular pattern of this bolt hole.

dresser clamp how to.jpg

WOW... Thanks Matt u rock... I'll post what I did based on JDs info. But, what u did here is excellent. TFS

No problem. I think its funny i draw it with all surfaces and JD draws it without surfaces. Too bad I cant open the IV files anymore. Glad you got it sorted!

Here we go!!

I think that the procedure was explained by shift1313 with a perfect result using surfaces, which are the key to success. The main problem with this kind of artifact is try to keep the flat support for the bolts, even when there are several sections changes that must be very smooth to relieve internal material tensions. So I agree with with JD and the flat Areas that he marked in the original picture, as a key factor, and of course I agree with shift1313 TOTALLY!!! Surfaces are the key to Win!!!!

Procedure by shift1313:

1.draw the bolt "tab" and made a surface-Fill

2.draw an arc that represents the flat section and make an extruded surface. For me i used 8 bolts so this flat section was 22.5degrees off vertical.

3.draw a boundary surface between the two tabs making sure there is tangency.

(With inventor: Loft between near edges checking previusly tangency between them)

4.mirror this boundary surface across the mid-plane

5.circular pattern of the filled surface, extruded surface and two boundary surfaces to complete the "ring"

6.revolved surface to make up the rest of the coupler

7.knit(stitch) these surfaces together.

8.thicken

9.cut 1 bolt hole

10.circular pattern of this bolt hole.

Dresser Coupling (pluissand).jpg

Thanks a Lot guys always is a pleasure learn with all of you!!!;)

Edited by pluissand

nice job pluissand. I think the difference between yours and mine is the distance between the tabs. A smaller distance makes that transition very quick. Try either making yours a larger diameter or making the "flats" a little more narrow to stretch out that boundary surface a little :)

Thanks Matt but I think that to be honest my friend, I could never make it without your help!!!!! In this world we need to learn from everyone

thanks to you my friend, thanks to you!!!

Thanks Matt but I think that to be honest my friend, I could never make it without your help!!!!! In this world we need to learn from everyone

thanks to you my friend, thanks to you!!!

No problem at all! :)