Do I want to sign up to a life of MEP?

busseynova

I've potentially got an interview on the near horizon for a job with a multinational engineering/construction firm. It was advertised as a CAD/BIM technician, but I've just had the HR guy on the phone asking if I'm ok with the idea of it being MEP based.

To be honest, I've not much of a clue about either discipline as I currently work in the furniture trade, but this position cropped up and it turns out I'm down to the final selection stage (no interviews yet).

So I'm looking to get an idea of the differences between BIM and MEP, and guage whether I want to get into an MEP based role. I was previously heading towards a visualisation role (learning 3DS) but to be honest if the money and perks were there I'd probablly alter this course. So what are your experiences of MEP and how do you use it day-to-day. Is it challenging/interesting enough to hold your interest?

Thanks.

Sorry I didn't see this sooner or I would have posted. What's the update on this?

Anyways, to answer some of your questions, there's not a difference between BIM and MEP, as BIM is simply a workflow using a combined effort of applications, methods and procedures for a more dynamic and accurate solution for the design, engineering and construction trades. MEP stands for Mechanical Electrical Plumbing, and is a combined-discipline terminology in the design, engineering and construction trades. MEP trades can utilize BIM practices for a better overall experience, which is how they would be compared together but never to be compared against each other.

The MEP trade can be a very exciting trade to get into no matter what angle you enter at (design, engineering or construction side of things). You will definitely learn a lot and the projects are seemingly endless, just like everything else, lol.....

8)