Need Help finding model of hook!

golddust1783

I need help finding a 3d model of a hook that I am using in my cabinet. I am unable to find one and would not know where to begin trying to make it.

I am unable to post a link but it is on lowes web site and the information follows. I would appreciate any help or comments, THANK YOU!

National

Double Clothes Hooks

Item #: 145420 Model: V163

Here is a good opportunity to work on your 3D CAD skills. It would help if you went out and bought one so you could take some actual measurements. The back of the hook can be drawn in plan view and then extruded. The hooks themselves could be made with arcs and a circle can be extruded along their length using the "path" option. The ball at the end of each hook can be made using a sphere. That is the basics. You'll have to work out the angle between the two hooks but it shouldn't be too difficult. For something so small I think even if you were off just slightly it would go entirely unnoticed. Give it a try. In the meantime, I'll look around my house and see if I have one. If I do I'll give it a try myself.

You can check with the Cad Block Exchange Network. They might have a clothes hook similar to the one you're looking for should you just not want to try your hand at drawing one up.

Unfortunately im not gifted with this 3d autocad. I have drawn everything I need to except for the addition of this hook. I cant even draw the base. I tried to draw the base by putting in two circles and connecting lines but when i tried to extrude it it extrudes the shape in the form of a shell but I dont get a solid.

I used a 1 inch diameter circle at the top and 5/8 at the bottom

then drew two lines two connect them. The two screw holes are 1/4 inch on either side of the center of the top larger circle. The hooks seem to have an angle of around 120 degrees between them, 3/16" in diameter, and the balls on the end are around 3/8" inch diameter. I would say that 1 inch would be close to a radius for the curvature of the hooks.

I just cant put this all together to make it into a drawing.

Please help!

Thank you,

Dustin

when you have your two circles, and you get ready to draw your lines start your line command, then use your snap,tangent option, click on your upper circle, click the tangent option again and click on your lower circle. Repeat this for the other side. Then use the TRIM command, select both lines and circles, hit enter, then select the bottom half of your upper circle, the top half of your bottom circle. This should trim the extra parts off leaving you with just a profile. Now since you have 4 separate lines you can either use the REGION command or PEDIT,M,Join command, then extrude your solid.

I just roughed this out based upon the limited dimensions you gave (which I did not follow exactly) and what I recall a two prong hook looks like. It would need more work to make it a finished product. Have to be careful how the circle is positioned relative to the arc used to make the hook. Some of the commands used included Pedit, Extrude, Rotate, Sphere, Mirror (after relocating Origin) and Fillet.

Hook1.jpg

This is just a part to a cabinet that im drawing for my boss. Im a waiter...but since im in engineering school he asked me to draw this. Well I had no problem with the cabinet as I made one solid then subtracted rectangles and such out and filleted a few edges. Now the only thing left is to add this stupid hook which I have spent a million hours trying to do and get error messages and such. I would just like to get something I could throw in to get it finished, then maybe go back and learn about it on a week that im not trying to prepare for the FE exam. The "region" command was definitely the biggest help to find out about.

ReMark The hook you posted would work if maybe the angle between the hooks was a bit smaller. Its nearly exactly what I need. And as you said it does not have to be perfect since its just part of a bigger project it will go mostly unnoticed.

Thank you all for your help.

Region...yep, that's one I could have used but didn't.

I could tweak the hooks to reset the interior angle (120 deg between them is what I used).

That would be awesome! Could you make it 105..or something close? How would I get the part from you to insert into my drawing? Thanks alot for your help. I may have some questions next week when I get some more time to play with it myself.

-Dustin

One hook drawing coming up (with angle set at 105 deg). Remember that this is not an exact duplicate only a representation of the hook you referred to.

Hook1.dwg

You should be able to double-click on the Hook1.dwg file shown above and open it in AutoCAD. Then just do with it as you please.

Now you owe me one. "Someday, and that day may never come, I'll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day," accept this drawing as my gift to you.