Pat files

DODGE

Hi Guys

Just using Acad 2012 with this new laptop of mine, I am running win 7.

I want to dup all my .pat files into the .pat folder for 2012.

When I am in win explorer I just can't find the .pat folder.

I typed find file acad.pat in command line and it told me it was in:

english\\r18.2\\enu\\support\\acad.pat

I am stumped if I can see this in win explorer.

In win xp it's under application data etc etc, but there is no application data in win 7.

Also while we are on the subject can someone just steer me on how to load my autocad 2009 profile into 2012.

Please guys step by if possible, as you have guessed I am no computer guru.

Thanks Dodge 8)

Is this a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Win7?

Windows may be treating the file type as "known" and therefore not displaying it. You would have to disable the feature that suppresses the display of known file types.

You should find the support folder here: Press "Windows"+R, or "run" Then type: %AppData%\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2009\R18.2\enu\Support You'll be brought to the support folder from autocad 2009

Actually, dirk, he wont. The OP is running AutoCAD 2012. And if he is doing it on a computer where both the OS and his version of AutoCAD are 64-bit the path will be totally different.

The path when both the OS and AutoCAD are 64-bit will be something like this:

"C:\\Users\\yourcomputernamehere\\appdata\\roaming\\autodesk\\autocad 2012\\r19.1\\enu\\support\\acad.pat"

Sorry for the 2009 issue, i meant 2012.

When you type %AppData%, the computer automatically forwards you to C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\roaming\

My excuses for the inconvenience.

Hi Guys

Thanks for all this help.

I have managed to get this all working ok but I am still a bit in the dark with it.

When I typed (Findfile "acad.pat") In the ccommand line. Autocad tells me this is where the pat files are: english\\R18.2\\enu\\support\\acad.pats

When I went to to this area in explorer, there is no pats folder.

I solved the issue by navigating to the support folder and in there I have added the folder name pats.

I then dumped all my hatches into this folder and it all works fine.

I an thinking I much prefer Windows XP Pro. Win 7 seems to be a new learning curve. I'm all for develepment, but why do we have to fix things that aren't broken.

It was the same thing with Microsoft office when they went to ver 2007, we all had to relearn how to use Excel etc.

Anyway thanks Remark and all you other guys.

Cheers my dears.

Dodge

There is no "pats" folder nor is there an acad.pats file (Autocad hasn't gone to a four character file type designation as far as I know). The default file name for your hatch pattern file is Acad.pat (note: there is no "s").

The fact that your acad.pat file is stored in the Support folder indicates that AutoCAD 2009 is 32-bit, not 64-bit, otherwise the path to it would be closer to what I indicated in a previous post.

FYI - If you are running a 64-bit version of Windows 7 but you have loaded a 32-bit version of AutoCAD the program files will be found in the Programs (x86) folder and not in the Programs folder where all 64-bit programs are installed.

Hi Remark

I was using 2009 with 32bit xp pro.

I am now running 2012 64bit on win 7.

I have definately loaded 2012 64bit on my new laptop with win 7.

And like I said when I typed Findfile command I got the english\\R18.2\\enu\\support\\acad.pat

The program files are not in the (x86) folder I checked this.

Yes you are correct the pat didn't have the S as in Pats.

Dodge

Win7's Search box at the top right of Windows Explorer is pretty nifty.

Try

• rightclick on start button - select Open Window Explorer
  • position to the drive (say) Local Disk C:
  • type *.pat in that box

Search results will become available as the disk is searched - rightclick on interesting items ...

And like I said when I typed Findfile command I got the english\\R18.2\\enu\\support\\acad.pat
That path is incomplete. The rest of it has probably scrolled up becoming hidden in your minimal command line palette. Press F2 to open the full text window so you can see the rest of the path.

Firstly, all those paths in windows would usually start with a drive letter (normally C:\ ), unless they're URL paths which would start with double-backslashes (shown in AutoLisp as quadruple backslashes). So if you can't see that you know you can't see the full path.

Secondly, XP places these setting in the c:\Documents & Setting\\Application Data\ folder. Vista/7 changes to c:\User\\appdata\roaming\. From that point forward AutoDesk takes over and places their respective program's settings under the AutoDesk folder. The %AppData% shortcut works in all versions of windows, including XP, Vista, 7 and including 32/64 bit. If you type %AppData% into the location on an Explorer window and press Enter it would open the relevant folder per your windows version. Then you can simply double-click the AutoDesk folder and continue drilling from there.

Third: The PAT files can be placed anywhere you want, as long as that folder is included in ACad's support path. The ACAD.PAT and ACADISO.PAT files placed in the above mentioned folder is simply the standard hatch patterns (imperial & metric respectively) combined into one common file. For custom hatches you need one file per pattern named the same as the pattern name inside the file. You could append your custom patterns into one of the ACAD.PAT/ACADISO.PAT files if you wish, but I recommend against it (less easy to upgrade and could become lost with updates).

My recommendation would be to make one single folder (anywhere you'd like so probably someplace "easy" to get to). Include that into ACad's support paths. Then when you upgrade include the same folder into the new ACad's support paths, no need to copy and copy and cop ad infinitum the same files in numerous places all over your hard drive. You could even have these files reside in a shared folder on a server so everyone in the office can get to the same exact patterns as everyone else ... no more "But I can't make the same type of hatch! I don't have that hatch!"