Basic steel help needed

manhattan

i need a bit of help. my boss has dropped a small project on my desk, basically because its not his usual sort of work and he doesnt want to do it. the thing is its even less in my knowledgebase since ive only just got into engineering

i need to provide fabrication drawings for a steel 'corner cap'. it will be created from 2mm sheet steel, and measures about 100x100x600mm. sorry about the crude MS paint pic :oops:

my.php?image=steelmu1.jpg

my intention was to bend an L-shape and weld a cap ontop however im concerned if i can weld steel this thin at an angle. can it even be made like this or will it need to be cut, bent & riveted / spot welded together?

steel.JPG

i need a bit of help. my boss has dropped a small project on my desk, basically because its not his usual sort of work and he doesnt want to do it. the thing is its even less in my knowledgebase since ive only just got into engineering

i need to provide fabrication drawings for a steel 'corner cap'. it will be created from 2mm sheet steel, and measures about 100x100x600mm. sorry about the crude MS paint pic :oops:

my.php?image=steelmu1.jpg

my intention was to bend an L-shape and weld a cap ontop however im concerned if i can weld steel this thin at an angle. can it even be made like this or will it need to be cut, bent & riveted / spot welded together?

for what it's worth....I've seen guys weld (TIG) beer cans together..... you way want to google weld symbols and the create an orthographic drawing to show it's construction (simplified I know but I'm not really a steel guy either)

the drawings and specs are already done but it wasnt until i actually came to annotating the weld i realised i hadnt really thought it through