Measuring an existing drawing

l00k_uk

Eldon exploding didnt help for me, but the dxt new drawing i have just scaled the lift door in the centre of the drawing near the stairs and its only 11 mm or it could be cm (need to check it out ) so it is incorrectly scaled thats for sure

I have just scale the drawing by 100 and it would seem to be more correct but not knowing any dims at all I cant be sure if it is correct, have you any layers with dims on ?

the lift entrance is now 1080mm and the shaft is 2450x1700 using osnap to measure with and the double door to the left is 1610mm

Edited by daft vader

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• l00k_uk

• Dadgad

• daft vader

• Blackfish

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yeah I could not explode either, ive noticed that the lift door on the units is 10.08 under the settings of the file. if I move decimal to left is 1.008, I wonder if that is meters as that would make lift shaft 2.4m x 1.7m with door 1.08m x 0.221m, sounds a bit more realistic...I wonder.

The measurements ARE displayed in 10ths of meters (right Eldon :thumbsup: , decimeters) which seems like a weird choice.

If you look at the standard dimstyle OVERRIDE description, you can see that a decimal has been added to the STANDARD dimstyle.

Walls are about 4" thick which makes sense, everything else looks right too, definitely decimeters. :beer:

Edited by Dadgad

Yes, you can do that by turning on the ALTERNATE UNITS dimension display and applying the multiplier which would be 0.1 to convert decimeters to meters.

I have placed it below the dimension line in the image.

Hope that helps you out, now go back to work! :beer:

display as meters.JPG

Based on all previous posts it looks like the drawing was drawn in inches and saved as a dxf file, then scaled(?) and saved as a dwg file.

Autocad treats all units the same, so when you have a 20 units long object in inches (done in Architectural, which is 20"), when you past it to Imperial drawing (in mm) it will be still 20 units, but that time 20mm.

So, you have to scale your drawing accordingly to what you want. Check DIST command what is the lenght of object (you know the size) in current units and then multiply as required.

In your 100k_uk's case if you wants the drawing in mm, than you have to scale the whole drawing multiply by 100.

Another issue are dimensions, because you can set them as you want. You cannot rely on dimensions to scale anything on drawing, unless you know what units, alternate units, scale factor etc. are set for it. That's why you have to base only on real distance measured using DIST command.

You can make a joke to set scale factor to something strange e.g. 3.1415926 and your lift shaft (24.5 units) gives 76.97.

It sounds strange, but 24.5 units (DIST) = 2'-0 1/2" (Architectural) = 622.301 (Decimal in mm; 24.5 units x 25.4mm). When you scale the whole thing by 100 and set dims to Decimal with scale factor=1.0 it gives you 2450mm in both measured units in model space and in dims.

Alternatively you can leave the drawing as it is and set Decimal dims with scale factor=100.

I hope all is clear now :shock:

The template is metric, and the insertion scale was set to Millimeters, while the dimensions are in decimeters ...... what a nightmare, and the ratio between those 2 units is .....? 100. :beer:

I always use UNITLESS for insertion scale and target dimension and it makes everything a lot easier.

lol, how do you set the template and also how did the dimensions end up set in decimeters? it still works out as 10ths of meters still yeah?

select the whole drawing in paper space and then write scale in the command line then press return, then input 100 and return, the drawing will now be in mm as you requested ok ?

Insertion scale does matter only with blocks (not other entities) inserted to drawing with different units (e.g. Architectural to Imperial etc.). So in that case there is no diffrence whatever is set there.

When you save/export drawing as dxf it became unitless. Probably somebody use a strange software (look at the thicker than the wall hatches, funny door block, circles as arcs etc.) to export the drawing to dxf.

But you right, the most curious here are decimeters... :o

Did you all ever figure out what's up with the invisible block? I determined that block 35 is the one with all the other blocks in it, but I cannot change the visibility state or even find it, but then, I am using 2009 LT so maybe I don't have the capability. Maybe it's been addressed. I didn't go back and read all 30 posts.:oops:

You're right (doors are exactly 1m wide), but at certain stage somebody set and use an Architectural dimension style, which confuses us as well.

Maybe one day 100k_uk will reveal from where he got the original drawing what maybe give us a clue what kind of software they use to make such a mess. ;)

lol, how do you set the template and also how did the dimensions end up set in decimeters? it still works out as 10ths of meters still yeah?

Yes, they are decimeters.

Hard to imagine somebody thinking that was an appropriate unit, and I cannot PROVE it, as I didn't see any dimensions on what I looked at.

An educated guess let's say .... Eldon was right, as he usually is. :beer:

It is reasonably mind-blowing that a drawing with what, 58 layers doesn't have a scale on it.

I would contact the individual who supplied the drawing and ask for confirmation of the scale.

Don't forget to thank said individual for DECIMATING our day off. :?

At which point you will KNOW that it is decimeters, or at least know that was the intention of the draftsperson / AKA the perpetrator.

Edited by Dadgad

Yes, they are decimeters.

Hard to imagine somebody thinking that was an appropriate unit, and I cannot PROVE it, as I didn't see any dimensions on what I looked at.

An educated guess let's say .... Eldon was right, as he usually is. :beer:

It is reasonably mind-blowing that a drawing with what, 58 layers doesn't have a scale on it.

I would contact the individual who supplied the drawing and ask for confirmation of the scale.

Don't forget to thank said individual for DECIMATING our day off. :?

At which point you will KNOW that it is decimeters, or at least know that was the intention of the draftsperson / AKA the perpetrator.

I suppose, in a twisted sorta way, the perp is doing his/her part to support the metric system. At least it was in a modulus of 10. Can you imagine trying to figure out what went wrong if this thing had been drawn in feet and then forced to yards like this thing was to decimeters?

Hey check this out, it is the first time I have ever seen the dreaded DECIMETERS :skull: referenced anywhere in Autocad! :shock:

I ran the AECDWGSETUP command on the architectural desktop, and lo and behold........

AECDWGSETUO command.JPG