stl file

tonka

Hi!

I´m having problem with creating stl file from surface. I need to import stl in another program for rockfalls.

I have create surface, extrude faces and union them.. an save like stl file.

But in another program my surface is not smooth, like somethning went wrong while exporting stl, because in autocad civil 3D 2012 everything look good.

Can someone have tip how to fix this?

Thank you,

Antonia

Try increasing facetres = 10 before creating stl file.

There are some portions of your problem description that do not make sense:

- stl files are surface files made from solids, not surfaces

- I am not familiar with how to "create surface, extrude faces...", but then I don't use C3D.

Try the facetres increase and also watch the command line for additional stl Options.

Thank You for your answer!

But I did not find where I can manage with stl options.

I have create surface from contours, then extract faces, extrude them, union and I got solid..

I have export solid like stl file...

I have found out how I can increase facetres to 10, but It has not affect to my stl file.

If there is some another parameter for better resolution of stl files?

I have solved part of a problem..

I read post started by FernandoLucchesi‎ - 3D Round Objects showing multiple flat faces.

My problem is same, if I scale my solid and export it, my stl file is looking smooth in another program.

But I lost my dimensions.. what is very important because solid is representing a relief.

In drawing settings: drawing units are feet and scale 1"=40', but my model is in the meters.

If I change my units to meters, I do not know how to scale my drawing to keep my points at same location, is it possible at all?

In drawing settings: drawing units are feet and scale 1"=40', but my model is in the meters.

Sounds like you started with an imperial template rather than with a metric template.

Get your units squared away.

Make sure your model is close to the 0,0,0 origin.

Measure something to determine current size of model.

Scale the model to get 1:1 desired size (this is a simple algebraic calculation).

I got my base drawing from someone else, so I think that he did not care about units and he just drew it in meters. It is like my starting template and I need to do this scaling in relation to it. But my object (solid) is representing a piece of a relief placed in appropriate coordinate system...so if I do the scaling of my object, this coordinate system remains the same and my object just "grows" in it. Is there a way to scale both of them?

This relations are important because I am exporting that solid/stl file in another program.

Thank You very much for Your help!

• 3 weeks later...

hello!

i have a problem with exporting stl. some of solids are missing and i'm not sure why, because they are same solid copied number of times.

original solid was made with open polyline and revolved (360) and it looks like pin.

there is a dwg in attachment (i can't attach stl, but some of those pins beneath balls are missing).

thank you!

lezaj_3d.dwg

hello!

i have a problem with exporting stl. some of solids are missing and i'm not sure why, because they are same solid copied number of times.

original solid was made with open polyline and revolved (360) and it looks like pin.

there is a dwg in attachment (i can't attach stl, but some of those pins beneath balls are missing).

thank you!

I only have AutoCAD 2012 to test, and it seemed to convert the model to STL well enough. Here is what came of the process:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28623452/lezaj_3d.zip

thank you seant!

yes, your stl is fine. i have 2010 and i try to export separately just one ball and one pin and same problem occur, pin is missing.

now either ac 2010 is having a problem with revolved open polyline or i have a problem with setting and exporting stl (but 3DPRINT command is pretty easy to use).

now either ac 2010 is having a problem with revolved open polyline or i have a problem with setting and exporting stl

Revolve of an open polyline is not a solid. Stlout works on solids.

now i see in help that revolved open polyline is a surface and closed is solid (i try that and it works). properties show revolved open polyline as 3d solid so i believed in this info. another question that i have is why some other pins are exported in stl (as i said before, they are copies from origin) or why seant could export file (without errors) in one piece with 2012?

thank you very much for answers.

Edited by dusko

• 3 weeks later...
hello!

thank you!

HI!

I tried to export your file as stl and everything looks good.

stl.jpg

Sorry, I lost track of this post. Here is the best I could do. I had to bring the geometry closer to WCS origin to process. The replacement may be a bit off.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28623452/puno%20tocaka_slojnice.zip

Thank You for Your help :)

I have solved part of a problem..

If I scale my solid and export it, my stl file is looking smooth in another program.

But I lost my dimensions.. what is very important because solid is representing a relief.

If I change my units to meters, I do not know how to scale my drawing to keep my points at same location, is it possible at all?

I got my base drawing from someone else, so I think that he did not care about units and he just drew it in meters. It is like my starting template and I need to do this scaling in relation to it. But my object (solid) is representing a piece of a relief placed in appropriate coordinate system...so if I do the scaling of my object, this coordinate system remains the same and my object just "grows" in it. Is there a way to scale both of them?

This relations are important because I am exporting that solid/stl file in another program.