Advice on which programs to learn

RSgraphics

Hello all,

Im in need of some advice on how to best move forward with my learning.

About me:

I've been using Autocad for about 4 years. Im very good at 2D and just recently learned 3D. I now find drawing 3D Models in Autocad pretty easy. But the rendering isn't that great.

This was my plan

Autocad = Build my 3D models (because its easy and I'm good at this)

3D Max Design = Render

is that a bad plan?

Also:

1. Should i even bother with 3d Max Design or should i be using 3d Max Studio?

2. What about Cinema 4D? Its so much easier. I read that Cinema 4D is used for rendering and lighting by architects as well.

3. If 3d Max Design is the way i should go, do you know of a really good online classes?

4. Is it possible to teach myself? I taught myself 3D in Autocad but thats easy compare to 3d Max Design.

5. I know this is a lot to ask but i don't know where else to go for answers to these questions. Your help is very appreciated.

Best.

If you just want to render your models, Studio Max is extreme overkill. Remember, Studio Max is a $3,500 modeling, rendering and animation package. Do you really want to spend $3,500 just to do renderings? There are other options available. Keyshot would be a good alternative if you just want something for rendering. Blender is another option, and it's free.

1. Studio Max Design and Studio Max are the same price, so it doesn't matter which way you go as far as cost is concerned. But if you will be doing architectural modeling and rendering, Studio Max Design is the one you want.

2. I don't like Cinema 4D. I don't like Lightwave either. I've been working with the trial versions of several programs lately, looking for something different, and I've found Modo to be a really amazing program. I like it better than Studio Max. And it's much cheaper.

3. I don't know of any online training. I'm sure there are classes, but I've never checked into it. I would suggest purchasing some books and training DVD's. You can find lots of training material from companies like Gnomon, Digital Tutors, Lynda & Eat3D to name a few.

4. Yes, it's possible to teach yourself. That's how I learned. It just takes a lot of time, devotion and practice. It can get very frustrating at times, but eventually you start figuring things out. Studio Max is a very complex program and has one of the steepest learning curves of any program, other than Maya that is. I've heard Maya is one of the most difficult programs to learn.

5. Don't worry about asking questions. That's why we're here. :)

Thanks for your help. Its really appreciated.

About using 3D Max Design just for rendering. Yes it is a bit overkill, isn't it :)

Would you be able to explain the process for me? Maybe I'm a bit confused as to what an Architectural firm or a Building Developer might need from an Autocad/3D artist.

This is my understanding:

1. An Autocad drafter or architect makes the 2D floor plans in Autocad

Then

2. Those 2D floor plans are either built as a 3D model in Autocad. This allows for the Building to be a perfect rendering of the actual building since its made from the actual blue prints.

3. That 2D floor plan is either turned into a 3D model in Autocad or 3D max and rendered

Yes, that's right. That was my job at the last firm I worked for. I was the 3D guy. I would take the 2D plans that were created in Autocad by the other architects, or myself, and then I would build a 3D model of the project site in Studio Max and create the rendered images.

The model does not have to be built in Autocad though. Studio Max is perfectly capable of importing the 2D Autocad drawing for use in building models. The accuracy is already there in the CAD file, so all you have to do is extrude the linework to begin building the model.

You are just what i was hoping for!

I don't know of anyone who understands this complex skill so its very nice to talk with you. I have so many questions just to even understand what it is these 3D renderings are used for.

Thank you very much for your time, I sincerely appreciate it.

May I ask:

1. At which stage do clients have the need for 3D renderings?

2. Is it before all the 2D drawings are finalized?

3. Do you actually build a complete 3D building with all rooms and electrical sockets and door hinges etc., or do you just do an ARTISTIC rendering of what the building should/could look like?

4. Is it more common to just do a rendering of an OUTSIDE view of the building.

5. As you can see, I'm actually trying to FIND my question. It seems that it wouldn't make sense to build a 3D model FIRST. Especially in 3D Max. Because if its in 3D Max, then how do you turn that model into actual 2D building plans.

6. So it seems that Architects would first develop and finalize the 2D floor plans in all its detail needed to actually construct the building. Then, to get investors (or some other reason) they hand off the 2D floor plans to a 3D artist.

I actually have ANOTHER question

Do you have or know of any tutorials on importing AutoCad 3d MODELS into "3D Max DESIGN".

I haven't found one specifically for importing 3D Models. I've only found tutorials for importing 2D floor plans.

Thanks again.

1. I can only speak for myself and the company I worked for, but typically the client would request renderings when they were either:

a. Trying to secure money for their project. They would present the renderings to their investors in order to show them how the final constructed project will look.

b. Obtaining permits from the city or county agencies. A picture is worth a thousand words.

c. Getting approvals from planning commissions. Again, pictures are always better than 2D plans. Most people's heads start spinning when they try to read and understand a complicated set of plans.

d. Just wanting nice color graphics to post on billboards or hang on the wall of their office.

2. Not always. Sometimes we would do them prior to creating the 2D plans, like when the project is still in the planning stages. And sometimes we would build models just to see how things were going to look and try to spot potential problems that might arise. But typically there is some sort of CAD file to start with. Even if it's just very basic.

3. I only did exterior renderings. I never got involved with any interior stuff. But interior renderings are also necessary too. So depending on the project, you may need to do interior renderings. But in architectural renderings, very rarely do you ever need to get down to all the nuts and bolts of a project. Unless you are doing product design where it's necessary to show every little moving part. It just depends on what type of work you're doing.

4. Again, it just depends on what the client wants. In my line of work, I just did exteriors. But in some cases the client may want a rendering of the lobby of a building or the dining room of a hotel. It just depends on the project and what is needed.

5. You can export your Studio Max model to a .dwg file which can then be brought back into Autocad to help create the 2D drawings, but we never did that. The CAD file was always created independent of the 3D model. But sometimes I would have to pull dimensions off the model to help the architect create his drawings.

6. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Like I mentioned before, sometimes you have to get the ball rolling with a rendering or two. Then, once the money, approvals or permits are secured, then you create the 2D drawings. It just depends on the client and what they need. Sometimes they only want the 2D drawings. Sometimes they request renderings, but then the project doesn't get approved. Sometimes they request 2D drawings and 3D renderings. It's always different.

I actually have ANOTHER question

Do you have or know of any tutorials on importing AutoCad 3d MODELS into "3D Max DESIGN".

I haven't found one specifically for importing 3D Models. I've only found tutorials for importing 2D floor plans.

Thanks again.

Did you see my reply to your other thread? Did you need more information than that?

These guys are really good > http://www.thecgschool.com/

They have some excellent books regarding 3D Studio Max and architectural visualization. Their books are pretty expensive but well worth the money.

I don't know anything about their online training though. Might be worth your time to check into it if this is what you want to do.

Cad64, you really have no idea how helpful you are being. If you did, you'd be charging me.

May I ask one last favor?

Here is my portfolio. My question is, why can't i get work? Maybe I'm applying for the wrong positions or maybe I'm just not being patient.

1. Will you please critique my portfolio.

2. Offer advice on where to search for jobs (careerbuilder seems like a scam for some reason)

3. What type of position would i apply for? Im strong in 2D floor plans and i like to create 3D models.

4. Judging from my portfolio should i apply for a 3D position with an Architectural or Construction company?

Thanks a million Cad64.

Edited by RSgraphics

If you want my honest opinion, I would say your website is nice, professional and easy to navigate, but I'm a little confused. Do you own your own company and you're looking to bring in work or are you looking for a job? Your website makes it seem like you have your own company. :?

Just my own personal opinion, I wouldn't put pricing on the website. That's something that should be negotiated per project.

As for your portfolio, I see some problems with your renders. For example, the staircase. There are some real problems with your materials. And the curved elements are not smooth. You can see the faceted edges. That would turn me off as a potential client. I would say your biggest problem right now is materials, lighting and rendering. Those are the 3 things that you should really focus on right now in terms of progressing and getting better. I spend a lot of time just browsing through online forums and galleries and looking at what other people are doing. Checking out their renders and seeing how mine compare. I learn a lot by just looking at other people's stuff. Sometimes I'll come across a photograph or someone else's rendering and I'll try to reproduce it and see if I can match the materials and lighting. That is a good way to learn and get better. If you can produce a render that makes people believe it's a photograph, then you have truly achieved 3D greatness. ;)

I don't like the online job sites. If I were you, I would decide what type of work you really want to do and then find all the local companies in your area and send out your resume. Then follow up with phone calls or even just show up at their offices and ask if they received your resume and if they are hiring. That shows initiative and a desire to work.

As far as what type of position you should apply for, that depends on your background, education and experience. I don't really know much about you other than you've been using Autocad for 4 years. Do you have a background in architecture or construction? Did you go to school? Do you have a degree? A lot depends on where you've been and what you've done. Anybody can draw, but what companies really want is someone who knows a little bit about what they're doing.