Using layer states between projects

RThev1961

I've been trying to standardize drawings at my company and I would like to use Layer State Manager between projects, but because my XREFs have different project numbers, the layers are named differently. Does anyone have a suggestion of how to get around this?

Welcome to the forum. :)

Maybe the LAYTRANS command is the way to go. It translates layer names, you could probably assign wildcard names in your saved LAYER TRANSLATION template and get it to fly.

Welcome to the forum!

Would it be possible to create your drawings from templates? That way you have a stock of layers in each type of drawing, and it won't matter what the drawing name is.

Thanks for the welcome!

I was hoping to not have to change layer names. A colleague told me that his last employer was investigating if you could type in "...." at the beginning of the layer and then have Layer State Manager skip the project number and go to the layer name, but I haven't found anything to confirm that. I've seen a number of posts, in different forums, of others having similiar issues, but I haven't seen a (IMO) good resolution yet. I don't think I'm going to find one...

I don't know if that would be possible. I work on projects from a major retailer and they send me the base drawing, and then I rename the layers and move objects onto the proper renamed layers, so I don't really start out with a clean drawing and have a chance to use templates. Something like Layer State Manager would be ideal for my needs, if I could use it between projects.

You would be changing the names of the layers which you would be bringing in, not of the existing ones in your new drawing. Not sure how that would impact the layer states which were already set up, if they would morph to those names or not.

Based on your last post, it sounds to me like LAYTRANS would be very helpful, if you tend to work with one client and have to rename layers, a perfect application for the LAYTRANS functionality. :)

You can use wildcard names in the mapping.

layer translator dialogue.jpg