Help needed regarding some Default cursor setting.

Maazy

i have been using autocad since 2 years now. i installed 3dmax and also autocad 2013 recently. I think somehow the settings have been defaulted to some other setting. i cant really explain the issue but i am sure the pictures can.

When i press the mouse wheel button, instead of it letting me pan around it opens up a SNAP option drop menu.

My cursor is a SQUARE shaped with a command cross inside it, which does not allow me to hold on to the left click and select objects by making boxes. it just gives a plus sign where ever i click.

here are a few pictures hope it makes sense.

i want it to be the normal way like it is for everyone in the youtube video tutorials etc. so that i can start work. help is much appreciated.IMAG0191.jpg

IMAG0188.jpg

IMAG0192.jpg

When i press the mouse wheel button, instead of it letting me pan around it opens up a SNAP option drop menu.

This should be fixed by setting the MBUTTONPAN system variable to 1.

My cursor is a SQUARE shaped with a command cross inside it

You can set the size of said cursor in Options --> Display --> Crosshair size, respectively Options --> Selections --> Pickbox size. Alternatively, adjust the CURSORSIZE and PICKBOX system variables.

And for sure, welcome to the Forum!

thankyou for your reply, 1 last thing i wanted help with. why cant i hold on to left click and select the objects? and for example if i want to move an object, if i select it before and then type the command why do i have to reselect again?

As @JD Mather observed, the PICKFIRST system variable seems to be set to 0 on your station; switch it to 1.

You didn't told us if the above advices helped you. Seems that many system variables were affected on your AutoCAD. Did you played in Options before starting to use it? The only other source for this may be from an automatically environment migration from a previous installed AutoCAD (don't believe that can be migrated from 3DMax) - was on that workstation an older version of AutoCAD?

hey, ya the advices work but its like i need to do them everytime again i open autocad. and i was not using any other version of autocad before this on this computer. so i dont think it can migrate any settings.

i still cant get the grid and cursor to be normal, its still in a tilted cross and not the straight cross. i stil cant hold left click and select objects while dragging the box.

• 2 weeks later...

First of all thankyou for all your help, it did work for sometime for me. but then the main problem is that my settings did change and i have been going crazy on how to restore it to the normal one. i have reinstalled and uninstalled ten times now, different versions aswell, deleting all old files also of autodesk, and completely removing autodesk folder too. now the thing is the commands you all listed for me like

mbuttonpan

pickfirst

pickdrag

blipmode

etc.

they do work, but they are the only commands i could explain you all to which you all helped me. there are a few more settings changed which i cant explain whats happening and whats not. i will show you a picture of how i want it to be and how it isnt. the one with the grids and blue background is the normal settings which is in every other computer i have seen. but for me after reinstalling the program and opening it the first time it opens upto this black background with weird cursor which is in sign of a diagonal cross, and not a straight one even after uninstalling and deleting all document files of autodesk. and i cant hold on the click button and select the things in the green/blue box that i want. If anyone could link me up with an article or anything which would temme what settings i need to change overrall, that would be really great. here are the pictures.

2013-screen.jpg

IMAG0199.jpg

Not sure why it doesn't reset when you reinstall, but I would try the following.

SNAPANG = 0

SNAPSTYL = 0

PICKBOX = 7 (pick a number that works for you, 7 is a good place to start)

CURSORSIZE = 10 (pick any number from 2 to 100)

thankyou for that rkent, you know what would be really helpfull? if i could somehow save all these commands on a profile and open that when i open autocad so that i dont have to put the commands back in, there about 8 things i change everytime i open autocad now. could anyone tell me if there is a setting to save the settings on a file like profile or customized UI

Maazy,

AutoCAD will load a lisp file called ACADDOC.LSP every time you open a drawing. So you place this file in the search path for AutoCAD and when it finds it, it will launch it.

The best thing is to go into Options, Files, Support File Search Path and add a folder of your own making for this type of thing.

So first go into Windows file explorer and create a folder, I use C:\ACAD. After creating that, download the file attached here and place it in that folder. Open that file, it is very simple right now and you can see some system variables and the setting for each variable, so simply replace those with the ones you need.

Go to Options in AutoCAD as shown above and add C:\ACAD in there.

Now anytime a drawing is opened this file will be read and the settings, lisp routines, etc will be loaded.

The file can be formatted like this to make is easier to keep track of your settings, and I didn't do it in this example but keeping everything alphabetical helps as well.

(command "DTEXTED" "2"

"MTJIGSTRING" "AutoCAD"

"MIRRTEXT" "0"

"TEXTFILL" "1"

"TSPACETYPE" "2"

"CENTERMT" "1")

acaddoc.lsp

Edited by rkent
added words