Jump to content
cadman6735

tool palette mistery

Recommended Posts

cadman6735

I have an issue where my custom tools on a tool palette allof a sudden stopped working correctly…

If I open the source file the tools work as they should,correctly. But when I open a new filefrom our template or an existing file the tools don’t act the way they should.

For example, if I create a space in the source file the tagI created is automatically the default and is ready to place upon closing thePline for the space. In a new file oncethe space has been closed the tag is invisible and it requires me to manually selectthe property set for the space, once the property set is selected the tag remainsinvisible but the layer shows that there is something on this layer.

I have another machine that works correctly so if I copy allthe custom files from this machine to my current machine the problem remainsthe same. I have gone as far asun-installing the software and removing it from registry, deleted all the temp,appdata and program folder files and re-installing it but the same problempersists.

If I create a new tool palette an error box appears tellingme that it cannot find the source file, if I relocate the source file andre-path the tools to look in the new location I get the same error of not beingable to find the source file. I ambanging my head here….

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tzframpton

What version are you using?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cadman6735

Sorry, I am using ACA-2013

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cadman6735

I think it is some sort of security issue... The tool palette I am having issues with is on my C: drive as soon as I copy it to the network or my desktop, it works again... Yesterday it wouldn't work after copying but it does today.

 

I really hate computers, sometimes.... I am still at a loss on getting the original tools to work, our IT says full access but....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tzframpton

Are the Tool Palettes on a network directory, or are they on your local machine?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cadman6735

I am embarrassed to elaborate…

Our entire custom tools are on each local machine, not thenetwork. Reason, IT disabled the “workoff Line” ability because “user” would pull the plug and force shutdown beforethe work off line was finished syncing files, causing a flux and some file beingout of sync, corrupt etc… (this is morethan just CAD file, users where abusing the off line tool, so IT nixedit). I was required to make AutoCADtools available off line. So I created alocal copy of all tools and we use a sync tool to keep all CAD files up to datewhen changes are made. So long storyshort this worked fine for a few months now there seems to be some sort ofchange that has caused the tools to not work correct. If I take the tools out of the custom folderand re-path, it works, if I put the tools back into the custom folder the toolsdon’t work, telling me the source file does not exist.

I would much rather put everything back on the network butthis choice is out of my hands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tzframpton

I'd be raising some serious cane if I were in your shoes. That's just crap, and I'm sorry but I.T. are all generally bad about this. It's laziness. Your I.T. department is aware that there's an Autodesk Network Administrators Guide (NAS) correct? Even an entire Autodesk forum for these types of people.

 

AutoCAD is meant to be networked in this manner, and should be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cadman6735

Well, as much as I do wish for AutoCAD to be newtorked, I can honaslty say our I.T. department is not lazy in the least. I do see and understand why they made this decision. and it is up to me to get AutoCAD to work the way the company wants it to work or they will find someone else who can, so I will contiune to scratch my head till one or the other happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cadman6735

finaly figured it out, don't know how it happened but I figured out how to fix it.

 

The template file had the blocks already loaded with the same name as the blocks being loaded from the souce file. The blocks in the template where blank, nothing in them. So when loading the block from the source file it wouldn't override the existing block in the template because it was already there so when droping in the tag it was invisable.

Once I purged out the tags and blocks from the template it worked as it should.

Such a simple fix and I am frustrated it took me so long to see it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tzframpton

Ah, good find. Glad you got it worked out.

 

8)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...