General Revit Question

MarkT65

Hi

So after 4 years and 5 redundancy’s I have gone from structural cad to lighting layouts to road tankers and finally a electrical company that is branching out to all mep, they believe sooner or later that they will need touse Revit , I think sooner, so I begin my quest on Revit and the stream ofquestions. I know Revit is used from the start but what about a refurb buildingwhere there may only be a 2d floor plan, will we have to put walls and things in ourselves before we start on electrics and pipework?.

Thanks

Mark

Edited by MarkT65

The short answer is no. An MEP model could be built without the architecture being in Revit but it would require an intimate knowledge of the building. The 2D floor plan could be used as a guide but the elevations would have to be known.

Thanks, so if we knew the floor to ceiling height we could put walls and such in and work from there, I assume it would be the same for autocad mep?, we are doing a big conversion now in london 5 storeys high so the changes to that could not be done in revit unless the archtect had the building in a model?. This would mean standard autocad will be around for a long time then. I am just trying to get a heads up for my employers as they do mainly refurb work in existing buildings.

Thank you again.

Mark

If you have a complete set of 2D construction documents as-builts, you can create the architectural model to use as your base for your MEP design work.

Even if you don't have a complete set, there's a lot you can fudge to work with.

We do it quite often.