add text to a dimension

td88

In ACAD 2006 LT, how do I add text below the dimension line, like "clear" or "overall", etc. ?

I saw a routine in the last office I worked:

click on the dim.

click on Properties

go to Text

go to Text override

Enter \X followed by the text you wish

Exit

I just tried this in my ACAD 2006 LT at home and it won't work.

If the dimension text is already placed on the drawing, use the DDEDIT command to edit the text.

On most dimension commands you can right click and select Mtext from the short-cut menu. You can add the text at this time.

I tried ddedit and was only able to add text above the line. Not my preference and, since I'd seen it could be placed below the line previously, is what I'm after.

I, also, tried the right click. I selected an existing dimension and right clicked it. I got a shortcut with many options but, mtext was not among them. Could be unique to LT. The differences pop up in many odd places.

Thanks for trying.

I have 06 LT here on one machine, it works like the full version for me.. sure you have the uppercase "X" \P works also.. to add text to the next line

I have 06 LT here on one machine, it works like the full version for me.. sure you have the uppercase "X" \P works also.. to add text to the next line

Just so I'm clear GhostRider, the complete prefix is upper case X\P followed by the text? Thank you.

GhostRider,

Just tried your prefix. It allowed me to add text but, only above the line and below the existing dim..

However, I did try my \X again and I must have typed something incorrectly, because it placed the text below the line as desired.

Since you are familiar with this process, may I ask, what is this whole code thing? Is this autolisp? This brings up one of my pet peeves about CADworld. There are many things used as common knowledge (only common to some people, however), which aren't taught in either beginning or intermediate Autocad classes but, a person will start work in a new office, and be surrounded by people who know this technique, and won't have a clue. A situation I never encountered in Manualdraftingworld. The deeper irony is this condition is quite common in the world of a device supposedly created to facilitate the availability of information.

One thing I noticed with using the \X prefix to add text below the dim, at least when I was in '06, is that if I left the dim in its original position the \X always worked just fine, but as soon as you click and drag the dim to adjust it or move it the text would immediately be on top of the dim line. Or if I had manually adjusted the dim after placing it and tried the \X it wouldn't work. :huh:In order for the \X to work I always had to have the dim positioned exactly where I wanted it before adding the \X and second line of text.

One thing I noticed with using the \X prefix to add text below the dim, at least when I was in '06, is that if I left the dim in its original position the \X always worked just fine, but as soon as you click and drag the dim to adjust it or move it the text would immediately be on top of the dim line. Or if I had manually adjusted the dim after placing it and tried the \X it wouldn't work. :huh:In order for the \X to work I always had to have the dim positioned exactly where I wanted it before adding the \X and second line of text.

Rustysilo,

Before I can respond to your comment, I need to know a bit more about what we're talking about. I have no idea what \X is. I copied it from a drawing I used at work. Is there a dictionary for these things?

I was looking for the list of text switches I've seen in the help file, but couldn't find it at first glance. I did find this about User text in Dim. overide

The \X separates text above the dimension line from text below the dimension line. The \P is a paragraph break.

I use this lisp routine to do this on as many dimensions as I select in one shot. Last dimension overwrite stays as default as long as your drawing is open.

(defun c:wr (/ a b)
 (if c1
   ()
   (setq c1 "%%c<>\"\\P(Typ.)")
 )
 (princ "\n Overwrite with:  ")
 (princ c1)
 (princ " ? ")
 (setq b (getstring t))
 (if (= b "")
   (setq b c1)
 )
 (setq c1 b)
 (princ "\nSelect Dimension to overwrite ")
 (setq a (ssget '((0 . "DIMENSION"))))
 (if (not (eq a nil))
   (command "._DimEdit" "_N" b a "")
 )
 (princ)
)

(prompt "\n type < wr > to overwrite dimension")