Adding Manufacturers catalog to MEP 21012

_Anthony

Piping in AutoCAD MEP is simply a style. This file you received, is it plain vanilla AutoCAD pipes? Or is it an AutoCAD MEP file where the manufacture basically preset their own Piping Styles? Do you know how to check this info? If not I can help you, just reply back.

:)

I am trying to load th victaulic blocks into my MEP. I now understand now that they are not MEP objects but just 3D blocks. I am going to try and create a tool palette containing them, since trying to pull each fitting out of design center is cumbersome. If I'm correct I can just view in design center and right click to create tool palette. I will attept tonight. Iwant to thankyou for all your advise. You are very helpful.

AutoCAD MEP already has Grooved Fittings in the OOTB application. The dimensions are spot on to the Victaulic catalog - I checked them myself years back. Granted, it's not "Vic" brand, but it's still a grooved fitting and the dimensions is what you're truly after. Just like the Carbon Steel Flanges aren't the Weldbend brand, but the dimensions are still ANSI standard accurate. You would be completely going backwards if you use standard 3D blocks in AutoCAD MEP and I would highly advise against it.

From the Victaulic web page.

"Victaulic has worked with Autodesk MEP to provide IPS Grooved content that has been incorporated into the core software."

That being said it is not "BIM compatible" without some major work of matching up MEP parts with Victaulic part numbers. Without the part numbers integrated into the object they are useless as far as I am concerned. In the contracting world the whole idea is to model your building with real world products. Autocad MEP does not provide these type of objects. Engineers generally do not care because they are not fabricating what they create.

The option that I always recommend first to people to is to create their own content either from scratch or by copying and modifying existing content. In case of the victaulic content in mep you can just copy the grooved catalog and modify the copied objects by adding intelligent information to the objects.

Another option is to "buy" content. I know that eastcoast cad has a fairly large (thousands) of real world objects ready for insertion into autocad mep as a native mep object. These objects are also extremely intelligent containing manufacturer name and part name as well as many other parameters included with the part. They also ship with a fairly easy to use cut and paste program to create your own content using their part templates. The objects are a sql database driven technology that is persistant from release to release. Additionally as it is a sql database and not an Autocad MEP catalog it is fairly easy to transfer the catalog to another program such as Revit. This portion of their program is not available yet but according to the seminar that I attended at the first of the year it will soon be made available in the near future.