Need your help to start using Revit MEP

hoss

Hi all,

I have been using AuoCAD for long time and AuoCAD MEP for last year or so.

At the moment we are not very busy and I have a bit of time to start learning Revit MEP. Since I don't have a powerful PC at home, this will be a good time to install trial version on work PC and have a play.

Can someone please direct me to some book or site that I can use to learn Revit, without getting into bad habits.

I have read that its not similar to CAD and I should forget CAD when I'm working on revit, this is why I don't want to learn things the wrong way.

Thanks for your help in advance

hoss

Any fundamentals book on Amazon or the like will be able to give you the basics and get you generally acquainted with Revit. However, Revit is so intuitive and so different that it's hard to find any resources that really show you the "proper way" of doing things, as Revit's capabilities are sometimes limited only by imagination and intuition - especially with Families.

Best thing to do is simply get to a point where you're not sure how to proceed and ask the question. You will probably be frustrated with Revit at first as most AutoCAD users do. Things that are seemingly soooo simple in AutoCAD just aren't that simple in Revit anymore and it takes some getting used to.

Another thing that is lacking is content. It's just not there - period. AutoCAD MEP has a ton which is great, and one reason why I still see AutoCAD MEP as a very useful application, especially for contractors.

Glad to see you've shown interest. In moving forward I'll be happy to help you along, along with others on this board. :)

Thanks for your reply,

I have ordered a book, and once the book is here, I am going to install Revit and have a try.

I will be back soon with some questions.

thank you

Also note: what's good about Revit is when the 30 day "trial" is up, you still have full use of the software, you just can't save, export, or plot. So you can continue teaching yourself Revit even after the trial period has expired.

I thought I posted a book in here...

Oh well, here it is again.

Revit Architecture 2013 Essentials:

http://www.amazon.com/Autodesk-Architecture-Essentials-Official-Training/dp/1118244788/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1359560749&sr=8-2&keywords=Revit+Architecture+essentials

I buy a Kindle copy every year. They're a great resource for pretty cheap.

There's also "Mastering Revit Architecture" after that:

http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Autodesk-Revit-Architecture-2013/dp/1118174089/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1359560749&sr=8-4&keywords=Revit+Architecture+essentials

Even though it's labelled "Architecture", it teaches you all the core/basic functions of Revit. Imo, MEP and Structural are more like extensions of the Architectural program.

Also note: what's good about Revit is when the 30 day "trial" is up, you still have full use of the software, you just can't save, export, or plot. So you can continue teaching yourself Revit even after the trial period has expired.

Wow, good to know this, as I was waiting for the book to arrive first

Thanks guys for your help

Edited by hoss