Smooth + Highlights

kililio

Hi

In 3ds Max 2013 , In the perspective view

I dont have the Smooth+highlights display mode set, I got "Realistic" instead

where are they gone?

Another questions, where is the viewport labels ? I don't find it.

What's the use of "Edge faces" in the viewport configuration panel?

Thanks

I don't use Studio Max anymore, but from what I've read, Smooth + Highlights is now referred to as Shaded.

I don't know why your viewport labels are missing. Have you installed the product updates? There are 6 of them, but you only need to install update #6. It includes all previous updates. http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/index?id=2334435&linkID=9241178&siteID=123112

If the product update doesn't help, try this:

From the Max Help Files:

Tip: If the viewport menu label bar becomes disabled, you can restore it by refreshing the UI scheme. Use Customize menu ac.menuaro.gif Load Custom UI Scheme to load a different CUI file, then reload the original CUI file again. The label bar will become available after either the new or original UI scheme is loaded.

Edit: After reading some more, I think you may have the Nitrous Display Driver selected. With Nitrous selected, your visual styles are Realistic, Shaded, Facets, etc. If you switch to the Direct3D display driver, you should get the Smooth + Highlights visual style back. You might get your viewport labels back also. It could just be that your system can't handle the Nitrous display.

From the Max Help Files:

Nitrous requires Direct3D 9.0 and works best when used with a professional graphics board with plenty of dedicated graphics memory. See the Autodesk certified recommendations at http://www.autodesk.com/max-hardware and the System Requirements at www.autodesk.com/3dsmax-systemreq-2013-enu.