How to test new deployments?

Keywordkid

I'd like to know how CAD Managers build and test new company settings and installations? -

I have been working with an old decrepid PC that I have stripped everything Autodesk related from it including toiling through the registry so I get as close to a pre-CAD installation as possible and then I use a good old Windows Restore Point to save this state. From here I then play around with deployment settings run the installer test and restore. I have tried to create a virtual environment but without access to the domain admin this failed to work and IT won't provide a standard build image to work with.

So how do you do it?

I'd like to know how CAD Managers build and test new company settings and installations? -

I have been working with an old decrepid PC that I have stripped everything Autodesk related from it including toiling through the registry so I get as close to a pre-CAD installation as possible and then I use a good old Windows Restore Point to save this state. From here I then play around with deployment settings run the installer test and restore. I have tried to create a virtual environment but without access to the domain admin this failed to work and IT won't provide a standard build image to work with.

So how do you do it?

I don't have anything to test really. I build the deployment right OOTB with no mods, and push customization post-install. Been working fine since R2005.

The only thing I do in addition to RK's post, is that I will often have a duplicate Profile (with a suffix, etc.) so that if/when I need to make any major changes, I can 'play' first without affecting others. I do this also for testing my .NET plug-ins when needed.

I've tried this method too after my initial predefined deployment caused other unexpected issues.

How do you get your customisations to run for new users if they have a default install? - Are you using login scripts to define a shortcut with defined switches or is it an individual setup per user?

I have frequent hot desking which brings users onto PC's they haven't used previously so they get their new Windows profile and the first run of AutoCAD scenario, if I can't get this to load correctly for them by default (which currently doesn't!) I end up manually logging in under their settings to sort out.

For years, I'd say that you might bootstrap your deployment... But if you're using 2013 SP1, or 2014, you'll have some additional work to either get AutoCAD's new Security protocol(s) to work for your setup, or disable it altogether for the bootstrap to work.

As for user's being able to log into any computer, we store our enterprise customizations on the network, and personal customizations in personal network space mapped in by login. What this allows is for me to login at any computer (i.e., that laptop in the conference room?), and all of my personal settings, and tools available to me just the same as at my own work computer.

Sounds like you either have better support from IT than I have or (more likely) better knowledge of networking.

I have a work around, I have set up a network location and User folders, then with login scripts I control copying any updated network information to the local PC's (working directly from the network was having hanging issues), I also use the scripts to set up a new user with a default profile which is renamed to their individual login details, on logout any changes to their profile are uploaded to the network.

The idea was to help hot desking users retain their custom GUI layouts, I originate from MicroStation Management and I have to say this is much easier to handle in MS. It's not ideal and I have constantly struggled with the way AutoCAD embeds the profile details in the registry so the profile will not update if already loaded on a PC without manually importing.

Your frustration with the methodology comes from your being unfamiliar, or perhaps simply inexperienced with administrating AutoCAD products... It's really not as hard as you're making it.

To clarify our environment a bit, each user has their own personal network space on a drive (Network share) as an employee, which the employee has write-access to, and I cannot even read. What we've done, is to map a portion of that into our Profile, specifically, the Main CUI, etc.. which holds the user's Workspace (the GUI configuration). Our Enterprise components reside on another drive (Network share), which is read-only to the users. The only items on the user's local disk is the OOTB install, and an Application Icon that we've replicated to their Desktop as part of our deployment.

It may be a bit over your ability, given your Microstation background (that is not meant to be offensive), but it is common practice to manage the profile via Acad.lsp, a user-defined file that does not come with the OOTB installation, but if found within the Support File Search Path (SFSP) is automagically loaded at startup once per session by default. This file support the AutoLISP, and Visual LISP APIs. The latter is what you would need to use in order to programmatically modify the Profile's myriad settings.

The reason I have chosen to manage the Profile via Acad.lsp in lieu of the repeated .ARG Import/Delete/Re-Import is due tot he fact that I can roll out changes to the Profile by modifying one single file, and then prompt users to reload this file, and all users have been updated. Done. Granted I've built in a mechanism that allows me to notify users of the update mid-session, but even without that, you could simply notify them via email, and ask them to restart.

Since Acad.lsp, and AcadDoc.lsp (another user-defined file that loads with each Document opened) are read-only to users, I've built in a mechanism to load their user-code within AcadDoc.lsp so they are free to be innovative if they so choose:

((lambda (user / file)
  (if (setq file (findfile (strcat user ".lsp")))
    (load file)
  )
)
 (getvar 'loginname)
)

Coming back to transient use of other computers, by having only the OOTB installed on each computer, the Profile being managed from read-only network location, and the user's custom settings being mapped in via personal network space, any user can log into any computer, at any office, and all of their personal settings are used. There are some obvious performance issues when dealing with cross country, or international use, for that we use Offline Files in lieu of VPN.

Ditto what BlackBox said above ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ generally.....

At install time, we have an "acad.lsp" file that contains one line -> (load "\\\\server\\share\\version\\acad.lsp")

and I place a copy of this file in the OOTB top SFSP directory, which is something like C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2013\Support"

Then when any user logs in and launches AutoCAD, it will load this "acad.lsp", which in turn sets a new SFSP and other "profile" options.

This is a perfect example of 'bootstrapping' your deployment:

At install time, we have an "acad.lsp" file that contains one line -> (load "\\\\server\\share\\version\\acad.lsp")

and I place a copy of this file in the OOTB top SFSP directory, which is something like C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2013\Support"

Then when any user logs in and launches AutoCAD, it will load this "acad.lsp", which in turn sets a new SFSP and other "profile" options.

Many thanks Blackbox for taking the time to elaborate.

I'll be the first to admit that I have been out of my depth with managing AutoCAD, to move from something you are experienced and familiar with to dealing with a product you last used (used and never configured!) over 10 years ago is an up hill struggle.

That said I do seem to be getting there, I am using Acad.lsp and AcadDoc.lsp, clearly I need to concentrate on these much more and work at refining them. I also have a similar network setup albeit I am copying locally due to network related delays. What I truly lack is an understanding of the lisp language, what may be simple to you but is alien to me, I have relied heavily on the generousity of forum members to post snippets of code which I have then played with to adapt to my environment. I am slowly getting to understand certain principles with lisp and I guess over time I may become as comfortable with it as I do with bat scripting and to a smaller extent VBA.

I'm very grateful for your explanations, it gives me a better idea on how to develop our setup.

You're very welcome, Keywordkid. :)

I'll be the first to admit that I have been out of my depth with managing AutoCAD, to move from something you are experienced and familiar with to dealing with a product you last used (used and never configured!) over 10 years ago is an up hill struggle.

I can appreciate your struggle, and willingness to overcome it... I'm happy to help where I can.

That said I do seem to be getting there, I am using Acad.lsp and AcadDoc.lsp, clearly I need to concentrate on these much more and work at refining them. I also have a similar network setup albeit I am copying locally due to network related delays. What I truly lack is an understanding of the lisp language, what may be simple to you but is alien to me, I have relied heavily on the generousity of forum members to post snippets of code which I have then played with to adapt to my environment. I am slowly getting to understand certain principles with lisp and I guess over time I may become as comfortable with it as I do with bat scripting and to a smaller extent VBA.

We all start somewhere. I too have greatly benefited from the kindness of others during the short time I've participated in the forums.

I'd venture a guess that you're on the right track, and your willingness to learn new things is demonstrative of that. Understanding your environment, it's advantages, and deficiencies, will allow you to leverage the skills you have, or reveal those that you should earn... It's a process (generally), so focus on the critical path for mission accomplishment (both the specified, and implied tasks), adapt along the way, and overcome any obstacles that present themselves. Lemon squeezy.

You'll be kicking back, helping others in no time... Cheers :beer: