Tube - exhaust manifold

jwebleyj

king. there is a certain order that things need to be welded when they do something like that. I welded the header pictured above this weekend and it was a pain because it was fully tacked and bolted to my jig. Its usually a packaging issue. A lot of exhaust design on full body cars falls into the space you have available. On race cars thats not as much of an issue. If you look at a turbo race car you will notice there are some pretty creative exhaust setups AND they are long tubes before the turbo.

You can set up a path using a 3d sketch and sweep the tube along that. I believe you can measure the arc length of the sketch in model space but if you are using a certain radius bend and straight lengths it shouldnt be hard to figure out.

Bends in an exhaust create pulse reflections from the pulse waves created when your valves close. These bends and the location of the collector on NA cars/bikes have a big effect on the power curve. On a turbo setup the biggest thing is getting the pulses to hit at different times. The performance gained from a true equal length setup isnt seen unless you have a full bore race motor where every little bit counts. The biggest benefit you can do is run a turbo with a split tang hot side and keep your opposing cylinders(firing order) separated.

you can see in my case there was no way to get an equal length setup using pre bent tubing. If i was able to make some custom tight bends it may have been possible but not probable.

primary.jpg

primary2.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shift1313

• kinglevel

• jwebleyj

• enforcermike

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 months later...

everything was modeled and rendered in Inventor 2010. The flanges I had already drawn for the actual product so i just made an assembly and put the flanges where they needed to be then made a few sweeps and voila.

everything was modeled and rendered in Inventor 2010. The flanges I had already drawn for the actual product so i just made an assembly and put the flanges where they needed to be then made a few sweeps and voila.

really??

ive been trying to render in inventor many times.. its really hard to get it right.

Good work man

it does take some playing around with the lighting and scene to get things right but you can produce some nice renders with it. Set up a scene with reflection images(all pre loaded in inventor) and play around with the available sample light scenes.

really??

ive been trying to render in inventor many times.. its really hard to get it right.

Search for Bill Bogan Inventor Studio Tutorials.

I think Mark Flaylor has posted links to his AU presentations on rendering here a few times.

• 3 years later...

Hi,

I had headers built off of an oem design where I could use a casting for the collector. Now I have a new design based of the OEM headers but it is all tubing. I saw something about a bend list in this thread. Is there a way I can have someone measure the bends and put it into a format where I can get cnc bends made?

You will need do visit a tube bending manufacture or someone with an ITP measuring station, these measuring stations can measure the bends and print you an XYZ (and a LRA/YBC). You can then take the XYZ to any tube bender to have the parts built or import the XYZ into Inventor and generate the 3d model.8)