AutoCAD ground model imported to Revit?

eldon

I have a survey, and created a ground model which consists of points and lines, both in 3D in AutoCAD.

The Architect has Revit (don't know which version). Can he import my AutoCAD ground model?

At the moment we have found out that he says that Revit cannot use either the 3D points or the 3D lines, but it can use 3D blocks.

Can anyone suggest a way forward? He needs to create the ground model in Revit.

The straight answer is..... "Yes". But, Revit and AutoCAD barely get along in 2D, let alone 3D. I cringe when I have to link in AutoCAD files.

He can create the ground model in Revit very easily with the Massing & Site tools. Can you export a CSV file of each 3D survey points? If so that's all he needs and it'll generate the grades, slopes, contours, etc. If you'd like for me to be a guinea pig, and it's within your legal boundary, I don't mind taking a look at the AutoCAD file and testing it before you send on to the Architect via email.

Thank you very much for your generous responses StykFacE and Lee Roy.

The original survey file is good in parts, but because of various excuses, I had to do a lot of editing. There were some steps and I had to ensure that the nosing of one step did not overlap the back of the next step down. I had to invent a few points which were measured with a tape on site, so the csv file would not give the whole picture. And I don't have access to Data Extraction.

What puzzles me is if I put a 3D block on the end of each 3D line, how does Revit know to join the points that I want joined?

Anyway, here is a drawing file that contains only points and lines. The site is a beach, sea wall and road behind. It is not Geo-referenced, and the surveyors hand compass is none too accurate!

I expect that I will be putting blocks onto the ends of lines (there are only 500 or so lines, so I will be finished by coffee time), but I would be very grateful if there is an easier way.

E-steps.jpg

Eldon3DGroundModel.dwg

You do not have access to Data Extraction? I don't understand why not if you're running AutoCAD.

What about this... if you're willing, you can manually place points around the drawing. I did this on a job once... I received a redline markup of about 40 points with positive Z elevations. In AutoCAD I placed them (simply by eyeballing) and used Data Extraction to produce the CSV, imported it into Revit and gave me exactly what I needed. It was simple, easy and I had zero issues.

This was on a Waste Water Treatment Plant that is currently an active job. I can share the file with you, along with screenshots of the completed Toposurface generated in Revit if you'd like to see the results.

I'm still curious as why you cannot use Data Extraction? If all else, use the POINT tool to map out a handful of points and share the file... I'll export for you. Least I can do for all the great tips you've volunteered through the years on this site.

:)

Thank you for looking at my drawing. I do not have Data Extraction because I am still using r2002. I do not think it came in until several versions later.

Yes, I will probably hand place blocks at the end of the lines. I have a few instances where three lines end at the same point, which will save a bit of time. It is just as easy for me to insert a block as it is to insert a point, so I will get my head down.

I think the architect can use Revit, so I will let him tell me how things are going.

Ah, I see. I remember you having some screencast videos and you were using at least 2007+ from what I remember. Bottom line is this: your file "will" import into Revit. Shouldn't have any issues whatsoever. To make it easier for the architect, you can do two things:

1. Ask him to give you his Project Base Point (PBP is a Revit entity for project origin) and align this to your 0,0,0 WCS.

2. Mitigate layers as much as humanly possible.

This will help ease the Import or Link procedure for him. Please don't hesitate to come back for more info. Revit is a whole 'nother ballgame. :)

I am afraid that I have never used 2007 or done any videos, but do use Land Desktop 2005 very occasionally.

I thought I was doing quite well with only two layers + layer 0. But I have made a start on the blocks, and it is going smoothly.

Thank you again for your interest and valuable advice :D

Having been spurred on to insert blocks, it is now possible for me to use the Attribute Extraction tool, and get a .csv file very easily. I attach it in case someone wants a bit of data to try out.

Eldon-3D data.csv

Thank you very much for confirming that the Architect will be able to see the data. What a shame that all my work in connecting the points in the right fashion seems to not translate. Anyway, that should keep him busy.

No problems about the mistaken identity. I always try to keep my head below the parapet.

I thought that I would take time to put it into LandDesktop, and this is how a cross section should look like.

eldon-section.JPG

Another thing... you can download the full version of Revit from Autodesk.com - after the 30 day trial period ends, you still have full use of the program, you just can't save or print anything. So it's a "full working viewer" so to speak. Just FYI if you might be interested in trying this yourself.

:)

I think that I will pass on that. It is bound to be too complicated for me. But thank you for the information.