Moving objects to absolute coordinates

TKall

I am still having trouble moving objects to precise coordinates. For instance, the thing I drew may be in the correct position in the x-y plane but I want to move it in the positive z direction a precise number of units. Or move it along the y axis by specifying where I want it to be not how far I want it to move.

I see...just use the tab key.

Edited by TKall
I think I found the answer

i do that quite often, i just use the design centre properties...enter the z value usually. i try and stick to nice numbers tho eg i draw duct at a height of 3metres so i know it's 3000 i need to enter to move summat to thesame elevation ....just for example

You know, I am still having trouble. The command seems to behave differently each time. For example, I select move, select the object, select a base point, enter # and tab to the z coordinate. The problem is I want the x and y to remain unchanged yet the part seems to fly all over the screen. Any advice?

mikemx...what do you mean about the design center properties. I have never used it

sorry, i have been calling it the wrong name....the 'properties pallette' box, similar to the 'design centre'........there's a button to toggle it on/off on the standard toolbar, close to the DC button

see post 21 here

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?75731-Penn-Foster-Student-Suffering-with-Oleson-Village-Map!!!/page3

Ctrl+1 toggles it on/off as well by the looks of it.

pick 1 object type only, then you can see a box with z value, simply change z value to what you want. only really works if you stick to sensible values eg 3000 rather than (eg) 3000.8775843755858 if you know what i mean.

works good for me but it doesn't matter to me if my duct run is at 3m rather than 3000.8775843755858. x and y usually a lot easier to deal with. may not work for other disciplines.

so what i do is insert an extraction arm against a wall. it usually ends up at a random elevation or at 0. i simply dial in what height it goes in 'properties'.

horizontal duct run at high level above, i draw a line connecting the extraction arms. it will be at the arm height so i simply dial in the required z value to change it :-)

any bends etc i add, i just make sure they are at the same z.

change view, do my drops. any vertical lines will snap to the extraction arms and if they don't snap to the high level duct run i can just dial in the line end point z.

xpipe my lines and i have duct:-)

makes life easy

Edited by mikekmx

For moving along the Z-axis alone, I typically just do it like this:

Move > Select Objects > Select Base Point > Specify second point: @0,0,Z (where Z = the distance I want to move along the Z axis)

The "@" qualifier tells AutoCAD to move a specific distance from the selected basepoint. Without the "@" qualifier, it would move the object(s) to the exact coordinates.

For instance, let's say your basepoint is at 257,42,17 and you want to move it up 7 units along the Z axis.

Typing in "0,0,7" as your second point would put your basepoint (and object(s)) at the coordinates of 0,0,7

Typing in "@0,0,7" will move the object up 7 units along the Z axis to the coordinates 257,42,24.

For moving along the Z-axis alone, I typically just do it like this:

Move > Select Objects > Select Base Point > Specify second point: @0,0,Z (where Z = the distance I want to move along the Z axis)

The "@" qualifier tells AutoCAD to move a specific distance from the selected basepoint. Without the "@" qualifier, it would move the object(s) to the exact coordinates.

For instance, let's say your basepoint is at 257,42,17 and you want to move it up 7 units along the Z axis.

Typing in "0,0,7" as your second point would put your basepoint (and object(s)) at the coordinates of 0,0,7

Typing in "@0,0,7" will move the object up 7 units along the Z axis to the coordinates 257,42,24.

be nice to havea little macro to do the first bit....so you justenterthe new or relative z

spacebaris packing up :(

be nice to havea little macro to do the first bit....so you justenterthe new or relative z

Actually, you can.

After fiddling with the move command, it does something remarkably similar.

Move > Select Object > Type "D" for the displacement option > enter X,Y,Z

It does the same thing as my previous solution, but faster and without the need for an "@" qualifier.

Actually, you can.

After fiddling with the move command, it does something remarkably similar.

Move > Select Object > Type "D" for the displacement option > enter X,Y,Z

It does the same thing as my previous solution, but faster and without the need for an "@" qualifier.

happy days :)

a fellow ACE user :D you will haveto show me wire numbering one day :?. i know, basic stuff but i nevergot the hang of it/gaveup too soon

happy days :)

a fellow ACE user :D you will haveto show me wire numbering one day :?. i know, basic stuff but i nevergot the hang of it/gaveup too soon

Wire numbering is pretty much automated with ACE. The only thing you have to do is decide how you want the numbering system set up, whether it be sequential or based on location within the drawing.