Dotted Lines and Annotations

noselicious42

Hi everyone!

I am using AutoCAD 2011 for a school project. It's pretty basic work--just making 2D architectural plots with imperial annotation units. I'm having two problems.

1) My school computers only have the "educational version" of the program installed, and it only has a continuous line. I need a dotted line for some parts of the project. Is there someplace where I could download the appropriate .lin file and add it to the program?

2) I have figured out how to change the program into the "Architectural" units mode, but when I make dimension lines the measurements say, for instance, 2.5 instead of 2'6". How can I change this from the former to the latter?

Thank you!

Your school's version of AutoCAD comes with ALL the default linetypes. The problem is you have to LOAD the linetype(s) you want. This is done via the LTYPE command.

Just because you changed the UNITS you are working in doesn't mean you'll automatically get the output you are looking for when dimensioning. You have to edit your Dimension Style (DIMSTYLE) to use the same units.

Wasn't this covered in class?

BTW, do NOT draw everything on layer "0". Be smart and use different layers for different portions of your drawings. For example you could create a layer called Foundation, set the color to magenta, and pick Continuous as your linetype. You are familiar with how to create new layers right?

And don't forget to draw everything in model space at FULL size. If your garage is 24'-0" x 22'-0" that's the size you draw it at. You do not draw "to scale" as one would if doing it on a drafting board.

You are planning on using paper space layouts and viewports aren't you? Are you familiar with these concepts?

Hi ReMark,

I tried loading with the linetype command, but it appeared that Continuous was the only option. I'm not at a school computer right now, but I'll take a screenshot in a few hours and post it.

Also, I misspoke when I said that I'm using AutoCAD for a "school" project. My parents have hired me to survey their property. I'm not experienced, but isn't a tricky job. It's just very time consuming. In sum, I've measured 210 individual "plots" on the property, and now I have to draw them nicely and to scale. Drawing them by hand was too time-consuming, so I started investigating what my college library computers had to offer. That's when I discovered AutoCAD. I have no prior experience with the program. I've just been figuring out what I think I need to know.

I'll check out the DIMSTYLE and report back. Good idea about the layers. I don't know how to make them, but I'll figure it out today and post here if I have any problems.

When you say I should not draw "to scale", you mean in the model space, right? So I should set my scale to 1'-1'? When I was drawing by hand I had 1/8 of an inch for every foot, so that's how I was planning on scaling these drawings. Why would it be better to draw 1'-1'?

I doubt very much that the educational version of AutoCAD loaded on the college computer has but a single linetype. The program is exactly the same as the commercial version with the exception of the educational banner that gets put around the border of one's drawings when printed.

How did you conduct this so called "survey" as to end up with 210 individual plots?

Layers are created via the Layer Properties Manager.

You do not "set a scale" when drawing in model space. Draw everything, as I said previously, at FULL size. It doesn't matter if you are drawing a 6" long pencil or the 1776 foot tall Freedom Tower in New York city. FULL size...no "scaling". Got it?

I will investigate the linetype load options once I can get to a school computer today. You're probably right and I'm just doing something silly. I have tried printing drawings and they actually don't seem to have the educational banner.

My parents' property is a large mobile home park for seasonal residents in Florida. It is divided up into 210 different sites, or lots. Each lot has its own trailer (a permanent fixture), concrete patio, and usually some variation of stairs, Florida rooms, sheds, and/or air conditioners. I measured the dimensions of all the "permanent" structures for each lot, as well as the distance from corners of the trailer to the nearest permanent object of the adjoining lots (that's what I need the dotted lines for). Each lot has an average of 20 different measurements, and the lots are all at a 60 degree angle to the park roads. I'm not trying to make a master drawing of the whole park--just a drawing of each individual lot. It's slow and annoying to draw on paper, which is why I'm trying out AutoCAD.

dotted lines are not partic good for general use. better off keeping the lines as 'continuous' and sticking that sort of stuff on it's own (non-plotting perhaps) layer with a unique layer colour. ensure line colour is set to 'by layer' when drawing. the 'defpoints' layer is already set up as 'non-plotting', you could use that one.

Colors might be nice, but they specified that they wanted dotted lines for the "border" dimensions.

Plus, I successfully figured out how to make a dotted line! I am also figuring out how to utilize different layers. The thing I am still stuck on is using dimstyle to get my dimensional measurements into imperial format.

I still can't figure out how to get them into imperial format, but I figured out how to just edit them. This solves my problem. The drawings are looking good! Right now the biggest issue is actually getting my dotted lines to show up on the print versions (they look like straight lines). Also, I can't figure out how to center text in relation to the printed page (like "LOT 136" as the title of the drawing).

Do not use the Defpoints layer for anything. If you have a layer you don't want to plot then set that layer to "no plot" in the Layer Properties Manager.

Text can be justified in a variety of ways; that includes both DTEXT and MTEXT.

I think you should attach a copy of this drawing to your next post so we can have a look at it. I don't mean an image; I mean an actual DWG file. Click on the Go Advanced button then at the next screen click on the Paperclip icon. Browse to the file's location, upload it then attach it.

Edited by ReMark