Windows 8

tonyj

Anybody got any advice about windows 8 for Autocad.

The Company that I work for are getting me a new computer in the next couple of weeks and I believe this is going to be a Windows 8 machine.

I have read somewhere that if you downgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 7 Microsoft will not support the downgrade. How true is this? and what is Windows 8 really like? Is it as bad as people are making out. Or just what is the story with Windows 8.

(I have tried to search the Cad Tutor Forums for 'Windows 8' but had no luck in anything coming up).

Thanks.

I am happy with Windows 8 now that I have found a way of having smaller windows for modern apps. Full screen cards is so much harder to play. It is definitely geared around touch screens. Using a mouse to get from corner to corner is cumbersome.

Having said all that, my home computer has Win8, my work one (with AutoCAD) is about to be upgraded from XP to Win7 so I can't comment on using win8 for AutoCAD.

The best things for Win8 is to go to http://www.stardock.com and get Start8 and Modern Mix. Both are $5 and make win8 what it should be.

Sorry to go off topic, but Stardock's software is pretty awesome all around. Some of it is cumbersome at times, but I just love all the customizations you can do.

Sorry to go off topic, but Stardock's software is pretty awesome all around. Some of it is cumbersome at times, but I just love all the customizations you can do.

I used to love me some WindowBlinds ;)

So is Windows 8 better than Windows 7?

if you have a touch screen, probably otherwise possibly.

It certainly starts a lot quicker than I remember from the little experience I have of W7.

It is different in how you navigate around but otherwise once you learn the routine and get used to it it's really pretty nice

if you have a touch screen, probably otherwise possibly.

It certainly starts a lot quicker than I remember from the little experience I have of W7.

This and windows 7 is pretty quick itself.

If you have a touch screen like stated before, then windows 8 is the OS for you, but i found that windows 8 without a touch screen is more of a ball ache than it is worth...

but otherwise i would use windows 7 personally, but then the same with most things its mostly about personal preference.

Myself have built a new PC not too long ago and put windows 7 on it, and a laptop i recently purchased i upgraded to windows 7 from 8... yes, upgraded lol

On a windows phone, the interface works great for me but on a desktop pc i don't see the point in it :)

As regards the support of windows 7 from microsoft they are still bringing out the windows updates so i don't see how they are not supporting it anymore, id like to think as long as they are coming out then they are still supporting it.

hope this kinda helps you :)

Why fix something that isn't broke

but i found that windows 8 without a touch screen is more of a ball ache than it is worth...
see post #3 if you haven't done this already

see post #3 if you haven't done this already

yes i had already seen it mate, but im a windows 7 kinda guy. Like i said, for me, why fix something that isnt broken

Windows 8 is actually more light weight than windows 7 even with the add-ins to make it look and feel like windows 7. This results in faster navigation, startup times and some minima performance upgrades with machines running with lower amounts of memory. Just remember that Autodesk products from 2013 an earlier are NOT supoorted on windows 8 (from everything I have seen and read it works fine, but if there are issues you are on your own).

The only recommendation I would make in this case is to download the above programs mentioned to skin Windows 8 to look and feel like 7 and to ensure you are running the 2014 Autodesk products.

It isn't for me, but the wife. She likes XP, but that just isn't going to cut it after April 2014. I had a nice laptop given to me, just needed a hard drive and a battery, so I am setting it up for her as a surprise. I have a Linux distro on it now, but if she decides she wants Windows, I'll need to purchase a copy.