Cylinder Fillets

jfrank1034

First timer here!

I have a larger cylinder (a separation vessel) sitting on top of a smaller cylinder (the neck/base of the vessel) all sitting on top of another even shorter cylinder, the concrete skid/stand. I am trying to flare the bottom of the neck outwards to mimick how these vessels are welded to sit on the concrete and also trying to flare the top of the neck outwards to make a smooth transition into the main part of the vessel.

Any suggestsions? If there is a cleaner way instead of making 3 different cylinder I'm all ears also. Just getting back into AutoCAD with a new summer internship.

Thanks

I normally make generic pressure tanks by creating a 2D profile and REVOLVING about the centerline.

TankRevolve.gif

Note: The REVOLVE shown above actually creates a surface, not a solid. Use SURFSCULPT to turn it into a solid if desired, or use arc segments instead of ellipses and turn the profile into a polyline prior to REVOLVE.

Awesome! That looks great, thanks. I'm still re-getting the hang of CAD and would have never thought to do it that way.

Right, I remember and am discovering again just by this example and reading other threads of the many ways of doing things.

But, I tried your method of revolving and then tried to create a solid but it said no watertight volume was found. Should I try the arc segments and polyline method?

If it's not watertight, then there was a gap somewhere in your 2D profile. Make sure all the segments extend all the way to the segment they join to, including making sure the profile extends all the way to the revolve axis. Post the drawing with your 2D profile, if you have trouble finding the gap. Use whichever works best for you, but the same will apply to a polyline made of line and arc segments. With the polyline method however, you'll know before revolving because you won't be able to make the profile into a single polyline unless all the endpoints are coincident.

Got it figured out. I think something happened when I trimmed the elipses. Arc segments worked better. Thanks