Sheet Set Publish alters attribute that is NOT a field (makes SSM useless)

Tom_D

I am using the Sheet Set manager to just publish my drawings to the named plotter (Adobe PDF). I an NOT using any fields. I do not have any sheet numbers assigned in the sheet set. Each drawing is a separate file with only one layout tab in each file. On each drawing, the sheet title and drawing number are within an attributed block, with the drawing number in an attribute with a tag of SHEETNO. Everything is in RomanS. Single sheets plot fine. This is the only sheet set.

The problem is that the sheet number are altered when I use Sheet Set Publish to make a multi-sheet PDF. The manually inserted plain-text sheet numbers are all in the format X#.# (A1.1, A2.3, etc.). Two things happen:

1. The number after the period is printed in a different font on all sheets (NOT RomanS - the ends of the stroke are square) .

2. Over half the numbers are changed (the first sheet, the cover, is blank and not changed):

T1.1 -> T1.- (the dash character)

A1.1 -> A1.1 (OK number)

A2.1 -> A2.1 (OK number)

A2.2 -> A2. 1 (note the extra space)

A2.3 -> A2.2

A3.1 -> A3.3

A4.1 -> A4.1 (OK number)

A4.3 -> A4. 2 (note the extra space)

A8.1 -> A8.3

A9.1 -> A9.1 (OK number)

AutoCAD 2009 on Window 7. No other similar problems.

Any ideas? As it is, Sheet Set Publish is useless. (I know, get an updated version of AutoCAD - it's in the works). Thx

Are you using a sheet set override to publish out the multi-copy PDF?

(as a work around, just print out the individual sheets, then assemble them as a multi page PDF in Adobe)

Thanks for the input. You got me to try a bunch of other things.

Note: Sheet Sets on 2009 don't handle PDFs very well - from what I can tell, they are just like another plotter (PDFs are not mentioned in the SSM, only DWFs).

I tried changing the attribute name to SHTNO - no effect. However, I noticed that when I page through the PDF, the bogus number is some sort of separate entity...

All of the sheets use the Adobe PDF plotter to 24x36 (I have Adobe Pro 9 installed). They do not have a named page setup, but the settings are the same in all the files.

I tried publishing from the publish dialog box without changing any of the settings except that to click the "Plotter named in page setup" rather than the default "DWF format". This Worked! I get separate files, and I have to confirm the name for each sheet, but it is doable. The sheets all look good.

I tried a few other things, like defining the page setup in the first file and overriding the rest, but this just plotted the first sheet, arrrgh... I'll let you know if I figure out any other solutions.

My guess is that the problems are all just part of AutoCAD trying to get the SSM to work right. I have used it in other versions (Architecture 2010 and AutoCAD 2012) and it has worked well. I highly recommend it.

(A CAD manager who actually wrote books in AutoCAD said years ago that "AutoCAD is like a locomotive they are gluing pigeons to hoping it will fly." Anyone else experience it this way?)

I use AC2007 and publish to PDF all the time.

I have a generic template that I have set up with a layout tab that has a named page set up for publishing in PDF (using pdf.pc3) (I have another named page set up for plotting to a specific printer as well)

If I have the individual sheets also set up to plot to PDF through the layout page set up, then I can use SSM to plot out the individual files (even if I select multiple sheets, the print out individually. If I select multiple sheets and publish using the override, it only publishes as one file.

I have has to break up large sets as trying to publish a 30 page PDF will usually crash - - - after 40 minutes, on the last few pages.