Precision linework in AutoCAD or 3ds Max?

tzframpton

Hello all, quick question. I have a new project that I'm about to start up. I want to model it completely in Max, however some of the parts are highly precision-based components, and others are definitely free-form moldings. The item I'm modeling is a compound hunting bow that I've recently purchased. The cam and pulley objects are definitely something that are very easily accomplished in AutoCAD. But the bow itself I will need to do in Max to take advantage of the free-form modeling environment.

Before I begin, I'd like to attempt everything in Max. But I'm using my vernier calipers to take measurements. Can I apply this level of precision to the cam/pulley objects, as well as other precision items of the bow? Or is it just as good to do in AutoCAD, then import?

Just looking for some feedback in approach before I begin is all. Thanks in advance!

- Tannar

I think the best advice to that query would depend on what the intentions are for the model. If you intend to use it for animation, rotating cams, flexing limbs, etc. then it probably should be modeled in Max.

If you intend to use the model to design aftermarket items for it then AutoCAD, certainly Inventor, and probably even Revit may make more sense.

If I recall correctly, Max is a Single Precision (versus Double Precision) floating point format application. That probably would not make much difference given the scale of the project, but it does give an indication of the focus of Max compared to those other programs.

What Max tools would you use for modeling? I know Max supports NURBS modeling but, unless things have improved, you may find that AutoCAD’s freeform modeling tools have progressed further.

SeanT is right about the precision, but that only applies to projects that are very large in scale. The further you get away from 0,0,0, the less precision you will have. For something like a hunting bow, you should be able to hold tolerances as tightly as you can in Autocad. If you're using this project to help you learn Studio Max, then I recommend that you don't fall back on old habits and use Autocad as a crutch. Build everything in Max. Forcing yourself to figure out how to create using only the Max toolset is the best way to learn. But having said that, there is nothing wrong with building some parts in Autocad. Always use the best tool for the job. :wink: