Dynamic Input - A History

tomspenguin

I am writing up some information on CAD good practice and how to use Dynamic Input in and keeping it switched on.

I just wondered which version of CAD it first came from and if someone could give me a brief history of how it changed...?

Thanks.:geek:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dbroada

• Dana W

• Debalance

• nestly

I switched it off in 2006 and haven't switched it on by choice since then. I don't need to clutter up my screen when the command sits right there at the bottom of my 23" monitor.

Thanks ReMark, does anyone regularly switch it on and off like me? If handling a very large file?

I use it rarely, when I am using MEASUREGEOM. Otherwise it seems to slow the computer and the dynamic boxes invariably get right in the way of what I need to see.

I use DYN the same way as dbroada. Dyn is the best thing that happened in Auto cad in a long time. If you think it is to cluttered, right click on the DYN-icon on at the bottom of your screen and choose settings.

I keep dynamic input on all the time but I uncheck "Show command prompting and command input boxes near crosshairs." I keep the tooltip boxes on because a lot of the time I need to know how far, and/or at what angle I am moving the cross hairs.

Speaking as a long time programmer, from before the desktop was invented, I would love to know why one might think Dynamic Input is atavistic.

I switched it off in 2006 and haven't switched it on by choice since then. I don't need to clutter up my screen when the command sits right there at the bottom of my 23" monitor.

Ditto.

If you don't like using your mouse or track ball (you track ball guys are a wacky bunch) then your a dynamic input user. I like using it but sometimes the interface is a bit overbearing at times

Dynamic input all the way, no command line,no toolbars, no ribbon, no menu bar (well sometimes as a last resort) the newer predictive text in Dynamc input is great if you are not 100% sure which command you want, the first few letters will usually bring up the correct command. I have a toolpalette macro togle for the menubar for emergencies (and failing memory).

I use it all the time. I prefer entering relative coordinates and having the prompts appear. Occasionally I have had to turn it off on a colleagues machine when it has crippled the performance.

My problem with it is I don't need to see what dimensions my line is currently at. I already know it is going to be 5'-0" at 35° if I tell it to be that way. It's pretty pointless the way I see it at least.