3D to 2D Isometric look in top View FLATTEN, FLATSHOT commands

nowikovs12

Hello everyone,

I have created an object in 3ds max and exported as dwg. file to open it in autocad.

The purpose for importing that shape in autocad was to set an isometric view of that object and use it in my 2D drawings for annotation and explanation purposes.

What I am trying to achieve is to have that isometric view flattened, but in top (drafting) view along my plan section and elevations so that it looks as if it has been drafted in 2D if that makes sense.

So far I have come across two commands - FLATTEN and FLATSHOT. When using FLATTEN command I get the flattened 2d splines from that object as desired, but in that orthographic view. As soon as I start rotating the flat shape gets distorted and I cant get back to it's original flattened state.

FLATSHOT immediately comes with an error saying that it is not a solid so nothing can be projected. I found a post regarding this and someone suggested to explode the object then use command - converttosurface this works and I can initiate the FLATSHOT command but the shape has all this extra geometry after converting it to surface and it is not what I want.

The closest is the FLATTEN command as it also allows me to hide the back edges so that I only get a clean outline of the object. But how can I rotate it and position it in a top view, flat, along the drafted elevation and plan.

I hope you can understand what I am trying to achieve first, and second help me with a solution,

Kind regards,

Thank you for your reply,

currently I am working on AutoCad 2013. I have attached a file. You can see two flat 2D shapes on the base and fallowing is the original imported object fallowed by converted to surface object and finally flattened lines in ortho view. I also noticed that when using flatten command the flattened object doubles the size? Do you have any suggestion on this?

I appreciate your help,

Kind Regards,

cash_desk.DWG

tzframpton, I highly appreciate your time and help.

I will be using the ortho views you have set for my annotation :P so thanks! I tried the Thread you attached, but it didn't work for me. What I did try is the good old ALIGN command, now my ortho object is flat with 2D shapes as wanted. I just had to sleep on it! One thing I can't understand is why does the FLATTEN command tends to blow up the object in scale by good 10 times? I can rescale it, quickly but would be nice to skip this step.

Thanks again tzframpton, have a productive week!! :thumbsup:

The way FLATTEN works comes from a different time in AutoCAD's history. My assumption is that tools to transfer 3D objects to 2D elements weren't developed to the advancement they are today, such as the FLATSHOT command. FLATTEN is a dated LISP routine, although still has it's uses. The one thing I never liked about the FLATTEN tool was the precision was always off. Example: A box flattening to a square that was 3.000,3.000,3.000 would come out 3.001,3.003 after the tool ran its course. FLATSHOT has been spot on since the tool arrived in AutoCAD's command library.