insert " symbol in a string

HARRY-PLOTTER

How can i insert " symbol in a string? I need a string like 3/16"...and i want to do something like (strcat "3/16" """)- how to do this? Thanks!

Like this?

(command "_.-scalelistedit" "[color=red]_[/color]D" "1/32[color=red]\[/color]" = 1'-0[color=red]\[/color]""[color=red] "_E"[/color])

A good programming practice is to use "_" in front of both commands and their options to ensure that your code works on localized AutoCAD; you need also to exit that command call.

By the way, please edit your previous post to add the required code tags.

I didn't know about the backslash.

In VB/VBA I have used chr$(34) (or similar) and was about to ask if backslash works there before I realised I can check for myself - another day.

If one want to go with the character approach:

(strcat "3/16" (chr 34))

Dbroada , regarding Visual Basic 6, the backslash solution will not work; use this instead:

"3/16"""

Here is some information I have posted in the past about the backslash character:

Since the quotation mark (") is the delimiter in AutoLISP to denote a string literal, the backslash escape character must be used to mark quotation characters within the string as literal quotes, not to be interpreted as string delimiters.

Similarly, since the backslash is an escape character, backslash characters present in the string must be prefixed with a backslash to mark them as literal characters, not to be interpreted as escape characters.

Read the following articles to understand more:

String Literal

Escape Character

Delimiter Collision

Leaning Toothpick Syndrome

(I particularly like that last one!)

For an easy way to determine where the backslash character is required you can use the following simple program:

(defun c:literal ( ) (getstring t "\nEnter string: "))

Hence, for your example:

Command: literal

Enter string: 1/32" = 1'-0"
"1/32\" = 1'-0\""

Edited by Lee Mac