Where to start in making a 3D car.

noldyb

Hello! I I'm in an autocad class and we are tasked with making a car in the program, i chose a Lamborghini. I am having trouble with finding out where to start. My teacher busies himself with helping the students in the first year class. But I have a scale model of the car I am making, so I can get every measurement I need, I also have a scale blueprint type drawing I can paste into CAD. But like I said, I've got no clue where to start. Can anyone give me a few steps to get started?

At the upper left corner of the forum tool bar, the light blue part, there is a Tutorials button. Perhaps there is something in there that will give you the basics of producing both 2D and 3D objects. Perhaps there is something in there that can help you get an idea on where to start.

There are several threads illustrating 3D modeling of cars here on the forum. The two that come to mind right now are the Bugatti Veyron and the new Camaro. Use the forum search feature to see if you can find them.

To be quite frank, and as BIGAL has "hinted" at, I would have selected a less ambitious subject for my first modeling project. Lambo's have some of the most intricate and complicated bodywork in the industry. I don't really mean to shoot you down, It's just that it has been found a difficult challenge for some of the very experienced people on the forum.

If you intend to model a real Lamborghini, do not depend on the scale model to give you accurate dimensions of any part of the real thing. Producing a scale model for retail is far different than manufacturing a full size vehicle. For one thing, the model has to account for it being impossible to use exact scale material thicknesses. How thick is one twelveth of a Lambo fender? Another thing is what's known as Eyeball Scale in the model kit industry. Quite a bit of the car will have been sized to what "Looks Right" to the observer of the model. Most of the small parts will have been enlarged to appear the correct size at scale rather than having been made exactly to scale.

Had a quick look we have Transoft Autoturn they have some great car samples Noldyb go to their webiste and ask for a copy, if you look at the complexity it takes hours.

Small car.jpg

I should probably include the face that i only have to make the shell of the car, but it's not the difficulty thats tripping me up, I'm having trouble with the process, I have no idea how to go about making a car in CAD.

@Nestly: I have done something that achieves the same result as the video you've attached, thanks for your assistance, but I need to know either a better way to go about it, or what to do after I have the basic shape.

What I'm saying is that I have no idea where to get started with making a car, I'm not saying I can't do it because its too hard, I can't do it because I have no idea how.

With years of autocad experience I would not attempt a lamborghini as my first car.

Make a box car with 4 wheels

Where did you get that pdf from? Is it yours?

What I'm saying is that I have no idea where to get started with making a car, I'm not saying I can't do it because its too hard, I can't do it because I have no idea how.

Then it IS too hard.

Ambitious for autocad, really ambitious. I would start by laying out pics on the x y and z planes scaled to the size and create a basic wirecrame outline. Then remove the pics and use your model to create usable geometry and lofts. Thicken will not always work. I would try to create as much as possible as one solid and the slice it for different panels. Without variable fillet and good surfacing tools you have quite a task ahead of you. I would say at least 10 hours just for the body. it would be easier to just to freelance a car that way you don't get frustrated over little details and use the car as a reference point.

3D_Lamborghini.jpg

I think your 3D car should be created using polygon meshes, like the above image depicts, not solids.

Note: I did not create the 3D model nor can I tell you how to do it using meshes as I do not use them in my line of work.

F700es the car is one of many supplied as a sample with Autoturn. Even a semi.

I like it. I think we should use that PDF as a competition on CADTutor. ;)

f700es yeah its like Remarks example mesh and faces.

Get hold of a 3dlaser scanner then all done.

There was an AUDI in the car park yesterday the carbon fibre panels were a sign, went around back the clear glass hatch back gave it away, thats where the 500+hp V10 engine sits, we can all dream about winning the lottery.