Acad LT, diesel, aliases, custom commands, macro

comcu

Hi All,

My previous company has autocad and my new company has autocad lt 2014.

While using autocad full package I had my keyboard set up with aliases so most of my commands where letters or symbols from the far left hand side of the keyboard. Allowing my Right hand to stay on the mouse and I was able to draw fast but without hitting a million keys a second.

One of the many things I miss is a vba module that picked up the type of command and set the layer depending on type of command eg xline command would automatically change the layer to construction or dimlinear would change the layer to dimension layer or dimension section layer depending on the name of the dimension scale.

So as I have LT now I am trying to utilize it to the max.

I have googled adding aliases to custom command or macros in Lt but it seems a dead end.

I was considering modifying some obscure native commands and then changing the macro and adding an aliases to the pgp file but that seems a bad idea generally but I think it would work?

Alternatively could I edit macro of a native dimlinear command and add a set layer to the start of the Macro to change the layer but could I use diesel to say if current dim scale is 004 then layer is "dimension section" layer otherwise set layer to "dimension" layer.

I also had the keyboard buttons Q, A, and W set to draw a line on the three main layers I have but now I have use ctrl+shift + w to get a line on layer "profile" and ctrl+shift + A for layer "structure" etc again I would use diesel to catch the key to set the layer before drawing a line.

Sorry long explanation but I am unfamiliar with diesel and was hoping that someone could comment on above and whether it is possible with diesel?

Thanks for any help.

I could be proven wrong on this, but to the best of my knowledge aliases in the pgp file can only access the inbuilt commands, and there is no way to alter how that command works (yeah you can get at the commands from the cui and edit them there - but this has no affect on how that command works when used with an alias). Diesel works in macros and is more of a method to carry out a string of instructions for example creating a toolpalette button that, with just a single click will set the current layer and dim style and then start the dim command, and once done set everything back. The problem you face now is a macro cannot be called from an alias, as you noted to get it to work from the keyboard you need to use Shift/Ctrl/Alt + key combination. If you go down this path it could be worth investing in some sort of clamps to fix your keyboard to the desk (it will prevent you from throwing the keyboard at the screen) diesel can do some amazing things, and turning you into a raving lunatic is top of the list :x . Another time saver to look into is scripts. It's not something I use but you can also put things like the dimlinear command onto a toolpalette and in the properties set the layer, dimstyle, color etc, and have different copies of that for using different settings, so you could also put 3 buttons in a toolpalette for the line command each one set to your 3 main layers.

I know it's not as simple as you are used too, but it certainly beats doing it all manually. Good luck and post back when you have any specific questions

Like steven-g have you considered making a custom toolbar ? You could easy have a button for Q A W as well as other buttons for other stuff you may then just need minimal diesel as the macro can do the layer set stuff before running the command. You just use a text editor for the menu and make your own icons or use autocads

Ignore the dialouge in image look at toolbar.

ScreenShot017.jpg

Macros in LT is not a dead end. Your search should have been on the words "diesel macro". There are a couple of websites dedicated solely to getting the most out of LT. When I switch over to my CAD computer I'll pull up and post the links.

In addition to the good advice from the previous posts there is also the possibility to use custom palettes. I would go along with Bigal on this one. You can also create the toolbars directy in the CUI in a partial cuix which can easily transferred to other computers.

What you are wanting to achieve is certainly possible, albeit in a slightly different way. Use the method you find best.