Shader for filleted edges in 3ds Max?

tzframpton

Do you mean that you want to leave all your edges sharp and then have them displayed as rounded in the render?

You can do this, sort of, by checking an option in your material editor.

1. Apply an "Arch & Design" material to your model

2. Scroll down to the "Special Effects" rollout

3. Check "Round Corners" and enter the Fillet Radius you want to apply to the corners

This is merely a shading effect though. Much like a bump map, it only gives the illusion of a rounded edge. If you zoom your camera in really close and render you will see some pretty weird results. But it does look ok when rendering from a distance.

For best results you will need to manually chamfer/fillet your edges. Or better yet, work in Sub-D mode: http://blip.tv/cgtuts/an-inroduction-to-sub-d-modeling-in-3ds-max-2433911

Do you mean that you want to leave all your edges sharp and then have them displayed as rounded in the render?
Yes, that's exactly what I'm trying to do. The motivation behind it, is to add "insta-realism" to my renders. For instance, my guitar modeling project. CAD applications have this super sharp edges on everything, when in reality not many things have that sharp of an edge. So many parts are beveled or rounded on the edges, and I'd hate to have to manually do this to EVERY object. So, hence my inquiry if there was some magic button.

Thanks for the tips, I'll give those a shot and see how things progress. :)