Copy Object from Xref

nicolas

Hi,

What are the possibilities concerning copying or ripping objects from an xref without having to open the xref or refedit, copy to 0,0 and paste to 0,0?

Also, about reloading a xref. I usually enter xref and from the dialog box, I do a reload. Is there an alternative way of doing a reloading?

Thanks.

Try using the Express Command NCOPY (stands for Nested Copy),

you will be glad you did.

You can also reload by using the Insert command, follow the prompts.

I had something in here, but my explanation turned out to be too vague and rambling, so...

Also, about reloading a xref. I usually enter xref and from the dialog box, I do a reload. Is there an alternative way of doing a reloading?

That is the method used. According to AutoCad Help

When you open a drawing, all DWG references (xrefs) update automatically. You can also update xrefs whenever you want to ensure that the most current versions are displayed in your drawing.

When you open a drawing, all xrefs update automatically. Use the Reload option from the External References palette to update xrefs whenever you want to ensure that the most current versions are displayed in your drawing.

To update an attached xref

Click Insert menu External References.

In the External References palette, select the reference name that you want to reload.

Right-click, and click Reload.

Note If the drawing you selected has been changed since you opened your drawing, the xref is reloaded.

There does not seem to be an alternative for my version, but you have the NCOPY in express tools like Dadgad says.

In Options >> Open & Save tab... Enable Demand Load xrefs. That will ensure the "current" version of the xref is always loaded upon Open, Save, and Save As...

I don't understand that, unless I'm missing something.

When a drawing is opened, the latest version of the xrefs are loaded, period, regardless of the setting you are referring to (which is the XLOADCTL sysvar).

• Funny 1

There is a "Managing Xrefs" icon in the lower right corner of the AutoCAD screen. When an xref changes the icon will show a notification. Right click and reload the xref.

When a drawing is opened, the latest version of the xrefs are loaded, period, regardless of the setting you are referring to (which is the XLOADCTL sysvar).

I don't know the answer to your question, but my use of XLOADCTL is based on

"When XLOADCTL is set to 2, a copy of each referenced drawing file is stored in the folder specified by the XLOADPATH system variable or the temporary files folder (set in the Options dialog box). Additionally, xrefs load faster when you work across a network: the performance enhancement is most pronounced when you open drawings with many xrefs."

Basically, I set XLOADCTL to 2 so that AutoCAD will only access linked bills of material for the current drawing, but not for the XREFs in my drawing. It speeds up opening some drawings with XREFs that themselves have excel-linked BOMs.

I may have misunderstood the use of the demand load. I will go figure it out.

Thanks a lot for the input. For Ncopy, I have even create a little lisp to automatically copy the object from 0,0 to 0,0.

(defun c:nc () (command "ncopy" pause "0,0" "0,0")(princ))

I believe for the reloading upon xref update is to use a lisp or to use xref palette.

Again, many thanks.