Defining Different Autodesk Products

Ritch7

Guys

I've been asked quite a lot what are the differences between the different products Autodesk have to offer, e.g. what's the difference between AutoCAD Revit and AutoCAD Inventor, etc etc I know Autodesk manufacture different software to suite the person and the work that is at hand, because the obvious fact that its normally in the name eg, Architecture, Civil eng. ...

but how about just a list of the different software they have to offer and listing the main points that differs them from the other software that is available on the market, so people looking into buying Autodesk products know exactly what their buying/what it can do that others cant and if it will suite them in their own work/educational learning role?

Iv'e had a look around and cant seem to find something that i had in mind on this site, and going into all the individual products on autodesks site takes forever.

just a thought

What we think David

Tell you what Ritch, if you write it up; the different products and what special about them, I'll put it in the FAQ. After all "What software should I use" is a FAQ... :wink:

I hear ya...

If anybody else here on the forum thinks that this is neat idea and would like to take a stab at writing something up, feel free to PM me! :)

Sure it's a good idea and would make for a valuable FAQ. The difficulty is that I doubt there are many out there who use all these applications and could give a balanced opinion. Maybe we should approach an authorised dealer and ask them to give us an overview.

Sure it's a good idea and would make for a valuable FAQ. The difficulty is that I doubt there are many out there who use all these applications and could give a balanced opinion. Maybe we should approach an authorised dealer and ask them to give us an overview.

yeh I think that's the best answer

I to agree, It would seem impossible on cad tutor to find a person who has had enough experience on each OF AUTODESKS PROGRAMS TO tell all what makes that specific program stand out from the rest and what it benefits over other software etc would be near impossible! we need a professional opinion from the people who made the software!

sooo, what's the e-mail address to ask autodesk for this info?

i've searched their website and not sure about where best to

ask.

I'm wondering if we want the FAQ to be what Autodesk says the products should be used for - in that case I think there's enough blurb on their homepage to put together a FAQ - or if we want it to be from users point of view - in that case we need to rally up a bunch of forum members that can write up what the different programs are good/bad on.

I'm wondering if we want the FAQ to be what Autodesk says the products should be used for - in that case I think there's enough blurb on their homepage to put together a FAQ - or if we want it to be from users point of view - in that case we need to rally up a bunch of forum members that can write up what the different programs are good/bad on.

I’m in.

I’ll do a right up on Mechanical ( including about the parts libraries etc) seeing as of how I’ve used that program the most, and how it would benefit mechanical engineers/designers a lot more than say... vanilla etc etc.

who else is joining?

Skipso?

Tiger?

We obviously need James for Revit seeing as how he loves it so much! haha

Go for it!

And I like Ritch's thought that it should pretty much be "Why should I use This-Application instead of Vanilla".

PM me whatever you got, and I'll compile it. If the texts are large, PM and you'll get an emailadress instead.