Extruding using a Taper Angle WITHIN a 3D Solid

Giarc73

Hi All

I'm new to the CAD world. I've hit a snag while drawing.

This is a brief summary of what I'm designing and the problem.

I'm drawing kitchen cupboard doors:

So I draw the Rectangle for the door, Extrude it for thickness.

Draw a Ploy-line around the outer edge of the 3D Solid and Offset it inwards.

Select Extrude again set Taper Angle and pull cursor into Object.

Now it extrudes inwards, which I can see if I set View to X-Ray, 2D etc... However in Conceptual and Realistic Views The outer face of the 3D Solid is flat, the Taper Angle does not show.

Although I've found that after doing everything as explained, Subtract works perfectly, is there a more effective method of achieving the end result?

Is Extrude the command to use or is there another way?

It would help if you either posted an image or attached a copy of your drawing file so we know better what you are talking about.

I've created a handful of kitchen cabinet doors as 3D solids but not using the method you have described.

Right here is the uploaded file.

The first door to the Right of the U.C.S has the Extrusion performed INTO the door. Which can be clearly noted when Viewed in Hidden, X-Ray and 2D Wireframe.

The second door has the Subtraction executed AFTER the Extrusion.

My question is whether there is another tool used to perform this task more efficiently or am I using Extrude incorrectly.

Remark - you mentioned above that your method is different, although I know that there are several ways of drafting to reach the same outcome, certain drawing styles are more effective and less time consuming.

May I ask your method?

Example.dwg

I typically work with profiles and extrude or sweep as required along a path. I'm not saying your method is wrong however. Different challenges have to be met in different ways.

Re: your drawing. I noticed that the door thickness appears to be 50. Is that correct? It seems rather thick.

I drew that as a quick representation of my problem, the door is not to scale.

Is Subtracting after Extrusion the way to go? Or am I missing something?

It is a perfectly acceptable method. I guess it all depends on how simple/complex your door is going to be.

Because you are adding a taper you must use the Extrude (or Loft).

Because you must use Extrude you must then use Subract.

If there was no taper you would be able to use Presspull to "extrude" and subtract at the same time.

Next generation tools like Autodesk Inventor allow you to Extrude with taper and subtract all in one feature.

Boolean Union, Subtract and Intersect of solid bodies are critical concepts in AutoCAD 3D modeling.

Giarc73 - after extruding the two rectangles, pick once on the smaller one, select the blue arrow pointing into the rectangle, pull your mouse towards the center, type 45 for the angle, hit enter. Finally Subtract. With DYN on you will see the prompt on screen for the angle input.