3d animation in 3dsmx9

sibbles

Hello

Been reading quite a lot of post on CADTutor and really like the info I find here.

I´m looking for a tip/tutorial that shows me how to move a 3d dwg file from acad 2007 to 3dsmx9 and have it move there.

The drawing itself is a suspension system for campers and I would like to get it to move like it was going down a road (going up and down on either side and such).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Atli F.

You have to save the DWG file in you required folder then do the following:

Open MAX 9

Go to file - import

Find your required file and click import

You now get a box with layer options etc... here you can select specific layers to import etc... if you require the whole DWG just click OK.

You will now have your DWG inside MAX.

Does this help?

No problem the site i have found useful is:

http://www.tutorialized.com/tutorials/3DS-MAX/Animation/1

This site has all kind of tutorials for MAX which will get you started.

If you get chance to get hold of the 3DS MAX bible do because this explains what everything does in MAX. It does not tell you how to do it but it will explain what each command does which is helpful.

Hope the site gets you started! :)

sibbles, what you're aslking to do is actually quite complex to set up...if i undestand you correctly you're basically looking to do a simulation of the suspension system...

i haven't done this myself but i would imagine that somehow you need to set up parrent/child hierchies between all the parts, apply dynamics to the suspension system, constrain the wheels to the road surface, and use the "reactor" system (rigid body?) in max with an animation path...

now i know there's a "toy car" reactor object which is probably what you're looking for but unfortunately it's still not a "one button process"...

you'll have to start of slowly with tutorial and work your way up to that point...who knows, mabee you can eventually give us pointers!..

Slow is the only way to start :D right?

I´m going through tutorials and stuff now as well as figuring out the new awesome 3d features in 2007 :)

Thanks for the tips, this forum never lets me down when i´m looking for info

• 2 years later...
You have to save the DWG file in you required folder then do the following:

Open MAX 9

Go to file - import

Find your required file and click import

You now get a box with layer options etc... here you can select specific layers to import etc... if you require the whole DWG just click OK.

You will now have your DWG inside MAX.

Does this help?

can I return autocad after I import the model in max?? to add some additional detail in my model without starting from zero after I put some materials?

Yes i think you can link the file so any change you make in AutoCAD will be automaticly updated in Max.I'm sure Cad64 or someone else will tell you the exact procedure.

Cheers.

Yes, that's right. Use the "File Link Manager" to insert your CAD file into Max. This will allow you to make changes to your Autocad file that will update in Max when you Reload the CAD file, just like an Xref.

Go to the "File" pull down menu and select "File Link Manager". The rest is pretty self explanatory.

I don't think you can apply materials in Autocad though. I think you have to apply them in Max. Not sure about that one? :unsure: