Routed pipe assembly

spittle

Can someone look at this pic and tell me the best way they'd do this. I've got loads of Routed Pipe Assemblys for this but am wondering if it should really be just one assembly. My knowledge of this function is very limited.

This is made up of a few standard fittings that haven't been routed, just mated together, the tapers are a part I've created and the straight pipe with custom elbows is a part I've created that is routing from flanges that I've also mated to the pipe fittings.

I guess I'm trying to understand the general workflow with different sized piping

Untitled.jpg

Do you mean literally re-create the whole thing?

If so mechanical would be excellent, I have no idea of solidworks sorry. Obviously save the elbows you’ve created why not use a Library?

The problem with any assembly is standards mostly, and with standard obviously comes size! When assembling just makes sure you have the correct pipe sizes for the connections. You cannot just scale something to down so "it fits" this all needs to be verified with the standardisation that is into play.

What standard are the flanges you’re using?

i would like to help more but i do not use solidworks!

im not sure what your asking here. What software are you using? Are you asking how to draw some of the parts? acad inventor has a pipe routing application. What are you doing this for? if you are doing this for work there are certain pipes and fittings. There are libraries out there of these parts. If you are using solidworks there is also a routing application(which i have not used yet).

If you let me know what you are tryin to do maybe i can give you a better answer, sorry.

The flanges comply with DIN and ISO standard, I have a load of pipe fittings of the correct size, what I don't have are any standard flanged lengths of straight pipes. Also for this arrangement, there are some custom builds that I'm trying to model using routing.

My question:

When using the routing add on to Solidworks correctly, would an arrangement like this generally be part of one assembly or would there be separate assemblys for each separate pipe assembly ie straight sections of pipes that are made up of two flanges and a straight piece of routed pipe in between?

Sorry my questions may be a little vague - that's cause my knowledge of routing is rather vague! I've got a load of fittings that although are very good, they're not set up perfectly, and I'm trying to get them all to work and learn routing as well.

For this arrangement, I've inserted most of the fittings using mates rather than any kinf of drag and drop or 'Add to Route', it's only the custom straights and bends where I've used routing.

while i havent used routing in solidworks i would venture a guess that you will have end flanges separate from your pipe(how it would actually be). When fabricating these assemblies, these flanges will be welded to a straight section. In solidworks you would make your flange a connection point. (see routing component wizard) ill have to play around with routing, unfortunately it just hasnt come up for me yet. sorry

Well I've been banging my head against a wall all day. Made a bit of a breakthrough though, I can get the pipes to drag and drop together into one routed pipe assembly. I though I was going to use my 'blank flanges' for either end of my straight pieces but it appears that they were literaly created just for blanking off the end of other fittings.

if you use the routing wizard there are flanges, tapers Ts etc in there already. All you will need is a 3d sketch of your path. I did a bit of reading on it today and it appears that you will have assemblies(your entire drawing) and routing sub-assemblies(created by solidworks). I still didnt have the chance to play with it, i just read up on it while waiting for my computer:)