Stacked Fractions & the FIND Command

GypsyQueen

One of my co-workers came to me with an interesting question and I was hoping to share it with you all because I still don't have an answer for him.:(

Is there a way to get theFIND command to recognize stacked fractions?

My co-worker does plumbing drafting and he occasionally sizes pipe preliminary for jobs per the client's request and usually has to adjust them later on once the conditions have been verified. And instead of having to go back and crawl over each drawing changing each fraction, he would like to use the FIND command to find & replace or something else that would be just as quick.

So any thoughts or solutions on this would be absolutely wonderful. Thanks!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GypsyQueen

• soleary

• lpseifert

• ASMI

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One of my co-workers came to me with an interesting question and I was hoping to share it with you all because I still don't have an answer for him.:(

Is there a way to get theFIND command to recognize stacked fractions?

My co-worker does plumbing drafting and he occasionally sizes pipe preliminary for jobs per the client's request and usually has to adjust them later on once the conditions have been verified. And instead of having to go back and crawl over each drawing changing each fraction, he would like to use the FIND command to find & replace or something else that would be just as quick.

So any thoughts or solutions on this would be absolutely wonderful. Thanks!

Do you mean stacked fractions in dimensions or text? If it's text then it's easy, just use the find command and search for 1/2 (for example). If it's dimensions it's probably a little trickier but you could use a text override for the dimensions that need to be changed?

Do you mean stacked fractions in dimensions or text? If it's text then it's easy, just use the find command and search for 1/2 (for example). If it's dimensions it's probably a little trickier but you could use a text override for the dimensions that need to be changed?

I mean stacked fraction in mtext and the stacking is the Fraction (Diagonal) setting. FIND command states there are 0 instances when searching for the fraction.

I mean stacked fraction in mtext and the stacking is the Fraction (Diagonal) setting. FIND command states there are 0 instances when searching for the fraction.

It works for me.......

find.jpg

It works for me.......

I wish it would work for me:cry:

Also (since I don't know if this is relevant) the fractions being changed are all located in my annotated multi-leaders.

fx.jpg

try this to replace 1/2 with 2/3 (diagonally stacked)

Find= 1`#2

Replace= 2#3

note the reverse quote

also, if the text you're trying to replace is annotative, try running an audit first

try this to replace 1/2 with 2/3 (diagonally stacked)

Find= 1`#2

Replace= 2#3

note the reverse quote

No luck there Ipseifert. Thank you for the other option though. I'm beginning to get the feeling it might not be possible.:sweat:

I should probably attach the .dwg file so anyone can have a go at it huh?

Ok, there it is for all to mess with.

FX.dwg

tried your drawing and it worked for me....

maybe you tried it before I added to try doing an audit

No, I caught your edit and tried the audit. I still continue to get the same dialogue as previously mentioned (about there are no matches).

Is there a possibility of a setting I'm missing that might not be turned on/off? I'm going to give my co-worker your suggestion and see if that works for him. If it's something that's not set right on my computer, he may not have the same problem.

No luck there Ipseifert. Thank you for the other option though. I'm beginning to get the feeling it might not be possible.:sweat:

I should probably attach the .dwg file so anyone can have a go at it huh?

Ok, there it is for all to mess with.

Hi GypsyQueen - just to let you know lpseifert's suggestion worked for me also.

lpseifert why is the reverse quote needed? I know it is - as I tried it without it and it didn't work - but how would anyone know this? :)

Hrmm. Perhaps it's a coup against me. I'm not sure anymore. I went to my co-worker with Ipseifert's solution and it did not work for him either.

I'm attaching a screen cap of what I have typed in. From what I can tell it's exactly what Ipseifert stated, but I still get the same response from ACAD. Which while it may say "0 Matches Found" feels more like "Ha! Good luck getting me to work for you!:twisted:"

If it's not a setting on the computer then perhaps ACAD 2009 just doesn't like me.

fx2.jpg

Hrmm. Perhaps it's a coup against me. I'm not sure anymore. I went to my co-worker with Ipseifert's solution and it did not work for him either.

I'm attaching a screen cap of what I have typed in. From what I can tell it's exactly what Ipseifert stated, but I still get the same response from ACAD. Which while it may say "0 Matches Found" feels more like "Ha! Good luck getting me to work for you!:twisted:"

If it's not a setting on the computer then perhaps ACAD 2009 just doesn't like me.

Hi again. I'm not using 2009 but from your screenshot a thought occurred to me. In 2008, there is an 'options' button which tells the system what to search. Is that option available to you from the dropdown? You can see the options that are set for me...

find2.jpg

Hi again. I'm not using 2009 but from your screenshot a thought occurred to me. In 2008, there is an 'options' button which tells the system what to search. Is that option available to you from the dropdown? You can see the options that are set for me...

Yah! See below

Options.jpg

Hi GypsyQueen - just to let you know lpseifert's suggestion worked for me also.

lpseifert why is the reverse quote needed? I know it is - as I tried it without it and it didn't work

The # sign is a wild card character (matches any numeric digit). The reverse quote forces the read of the next character literally (as the # sign, not a numeric digit).

but how would anyone know this?
cuz I'm a friggin' genius:thumbsup:

GQ.... try clicking on 'Use wildcards' and see if that works.

So then it's just easier to put you on a plane and haveyou come here and talk some sense into my computer. Cuz I've done what I was told, like a good little girl, and still it does not work for me. I even asked it please several times. :(

All joking aside though, I'm honestly stumped.

P.S. Enabled "Use Wildcards" and it still refuses to find it.

Hahaha I did try to search help, google, autodesk, AUGI, lynn allen's blog, katescadtips & the cad forum but couldn't find a single reference to it. Do you know where it is referenced? My question was more along the lines of how would 'one' know this as opposed to how would you yourself know this:lol: But of course, I'm not doubting your genius :D

Another though occurred to me as well. When looking at the Properties dialogue box, I noticed that the contents of the text is obviously different than what is typed (yes yes.. computer code stuffs I don't honestly understand:oops:) is it possible that there is some information in there that I need to include in the search? Aye one of these days I will take a computer course that explains most of this to me, but until then, pretend I'm extremely green in that area.

Take a peek.

Properties.jpg

Perhaps you are right Ipseifert. I'll chalk it up to '09 for now. Thank you both soleary and Ipseifert for trudging through this with me.

I'm going to let this sleeping dog lie for a while and if there is a need for it rear it's ugly head again I may prod it awake to see what's changed.

For now, I think I shall try to convince my co-worker to change his fractions to something his and my "Find" command likes and we'll just go from there.

Thanks again! :D