Stacked Fractions & the FIND Command

GypsyQueen

Hahaha I did try to search help, google, autodesk, AUGI, lynn allen's blog, katescadtips & the cad forum but couldn't find a single reference to it. Do you know where it is referenced? My question was more along the lines of how would 'one' know this as opposed to how would you yourself know this:lol: But of course, I'm not doubting your genius :D

From Help > wild-card characters > finding text using

Find and Replace Text

To search for and replace text, use FIND. Replacement is based on text content only; character formatting and text properties are not changed.

With FIND, you can use wild-card characters in your search.

Character

Definition

# (Pound)

Matches any numeric digit

@ (At)

Matches any alphabetic character

. (Period)

Matches any nonalphanumeric character

* (Asterisk)

Matches any string and can be used anywhere in the search string

? (Question mark)

Matches any single character; for example, ?BC matches ABC, 3BC, and so on

~ (Tilde)

Matches anything but the pattern; for example; ~*AB*matches all strings that don't contain AB

[ ]

Matches any one of the characters enclosed; for example, [AB]C matches AC and BC

[~]

Matches any character not enclosed; for example, [~AB]C matches XC but not AC

[-]

Specifies a range for a single character; for example, [A-G]C matches AC, BC, and so on to GC, but not HC

` (Reverse quote)

Reads the next character literally; for example, `~AB matches ~AB

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GypsyQueen

• soleary

• lpseifert

• ASMI

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know what to tell you, maybe it's a 2009 thing

If one searches long enough they will locate at least one user within the company who still hasn't upgraded to 2009 and lo and behold, it seems that it isindeed something that is screwy with 2009.

When I have more time to devote to this project, I will hopefully come up with something I can contribute to the forums.

Thanks lpseifert. I'll look into that more. Cheers

Actually one thing before I go to bed (it's getting a little late here). If the text isn't stacked diagonally, but stacked horizontally i.e. using 1/2 as opposed to 1#2, why then will searching for 1/2 work. Why wouldn't I have to type 1`/2 in the search?

When I have more time to devote to this project, I will hopefully come up with something I can contribute to the forums.

You've already contributed. I'm learning something new - so thanks for the post in the first place :wink:

You've already contributed. I'm learning something new - so thanks for the post in the first place :wink:

Well then, all is not lost! Thanks again and sleep well ya? Definitely earned after wracking your brains over this. :bloodshot:

Well then, all is not lost! Thanks again and sleep well ya? Definitely earned after wracking your brains over this. :bloodshot:

ok goodnight then. I mean have a nice evening....you know what I mean.... :)

Actually one thing before I go to bed (it's getting a little late here). If the text isn't stacked diagonally, but stacked horizontally i.e. using 1/2 as opposed to 1#2, why then will searching for 1/2 work. Why wouldn't I have to type 1`/2 in the search?

Because / isn't a wild-card.

Im also in 2009 and it didnt work for me either, porbably an 09 thing, Ive noticed alot of changes in the find command from 08 to 09..

Yeah, that's what I keep hearing. I honestly started with 2007, but didn't use the find command once. But from several grumblings of others in the office who have used many different versions of ACAD over the years, there's usually going to be grumblings.

I've come to accept that myself and maybe one other person in the office actually likes Mleaders, the rest still prefer to use Quickleaders, they're also not fond of Annotation at all.

Oh well. Thanks for the confirmation that I'm not just crazy. :D

I am using 2009 and had no success using the FIND command to locate and replace stacked fractions either. And yes, I've installed all service packs.

On a lighter note acad2009 will work probably work better after actual 2009 starts after 19 days.:wink: LOL

:huh: that means I should hold on installation of 09 in my PC untill then.

Aww, let Dipali have his wish for a happy new year to start off with 09 running like we had all hoped for. :wink: And if indeed it was the tea brewing to long, then I definitely need to know what kind, how much, and total brew time. LOL:lol:

Besides, he knows where to find us all when those pesky stacked fractions aren't being found.

*stalks off to get a cup of coffee, since there's no good tea in the cabinets*

It works in all versions if you use ` (reverse quote) symbol before #. For example:

3`#4 for 3/4 or 1`#2 for 1/2

# - is reserved symbol (any numeric digit) in AutoCAD wildcard patterns and ` forse to read it literally.

It works in all versions if you use ` (reverse quote) symbol before #. For example:

3`#4 for 3/4 or 1`#2 for 1/2

# - is reserved symbol (any numeric digit) in AutoCAD wildcard patterns and ` forse to read it literally.

Tried it ASMI and it didn't work, that was what Ipseifert suggested. I've tried it on all the computers in the office with 2009. That didn't work.. However the one computer that is still using 2008 did work. Unless there is another setting somewhere I am missing.

Nope. 0 matches found. The stacked fraction was created in MTEXT. Must be missing that super secret special instruction.

Why would the symbol be considered a numeric digit?