compare 2013 & 2014

dbroada

I took the plunge last week and installed 2014 alongside 2013 to enable me to test my in-house routines. With a bit of tweaking all looks OK to go. A little bit of tidying up to do and I will let everybody else update their copies when they are ready. Knowing them, February 2015 is a likely date. Then I'll just have the "why have I got to set the trusted path?" questions.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dbroada

• Tyke

• BlackBox

• nestly

Top Posters In This Topic

I took the plunge last week and installed 2014 alongside 2013 to enable me to test my in-house routines. With a bit of tweaking all looks OK to go. A little bit of tidying up to do and I will let everybody else update their copies when they are ready. Knowing them, February 2015 is a likely date.

Congrats; wait till you get to 2015. Although, if you're waiting that long, why not hold out for 2016 which comes out next Spring?

Then I'll just have the "why have I got to set the trusted path?" questions.

Ah, but you need not endure such a gift... See here (also linked in my signature). o:)

Cheers

I took the plunge last week and installed 2014 alongside 2013 to enable me to test my in-house routines. With a bit of tweaking all looks OK to go. A little bit of tidying up to do and I will let everybody else update their copies when they are ready. Knowing them, February 2015 is a likely date. Then I'll just have the "why have I got to set the trusted path?" questions.

I'm sure you will be OK, 2014 was far better than 2013, IMHO.

It will be interesting to get your feedback later on.

Congrats; wait till you get to 2015. Although, if you're waiting that long, why not hold out for 2016 which comes out next Spring?

as Tyke said, I use what is given to me. I don't expect to see a newer release bofore I retire.

Ah, but you need not endure such a gift... See here (also linked in my signature). o:)

Cheers

ah but if I make it too easy for them......

ah but if I make it too easy for them......

I mean not to make it easy for them, but yourself.

By using an Autoloader .bundle for your internal customizations, you mitigate the TrustedPaths requirement altogether even with SECURELOAD > 0... You need not instruct them on how you've made your life easier... As far as they can be concerned, it's magic, how you do the voodoo that you do so well. :thumbsup:

Also, keep in mind, that despite %AppData%\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\ being the most common (and generally user-accessible) location, you can instead use C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\ for your .bundle(s), and lock user permission out (so long as your apps do not also write to this location, of course). With the advent of PowerShell, and .VBS, you can even set ..\NetLogon\ to 'push' any changes / updates you'd need at user login, and they'd never even notice... It just works... Magic.

Cheers

and what happens when you do retire? Who is then going to do all of the customisation? :unsure:
that will also be somebody else's problem - although I suspect all our CAD work will be performed in Asia by then.

and thanks BB, I'll have a longer look at that on Tuesday when I get back to the office.

Edited by dbroada
spelling correction