Block Editor: Basepoint

Beeftimer

I've read many articles and threads about how to insert a basepoint, but none have answered the question I have. My question is how do I (easily) REDEFINE a block's basepoint? I know how to put in a basepoint initially, but what if I want to keep changing it subsequently? Every time I try and change it, it gives me this response:

** Base point parameter already exists in block definition. **

I have to go back and undo everything up to the point where I defined the basepoint in the first place. This is not convenient. Is there not an easy way to change a block's basepoint over and over again if I wish? I feel like there's got to be a command for this. I would think that using the Basepoint command in the block editor would suffice, but obviously it doesn't. I know I can move the block around and change the origin, but what I need is to redefine the basepoint.

If you have any suggestions that work, or if you happen to know that there indeed isn't an answer, please let me know. Your feedback is appreciated.

-Beef

I don't bother with a base point but I LAWAYS draw with the geometry based around the 0,0 point. Without a basepoint parameter a block will always be inserted based on the 0,0 point of the original drawing.

If I need to change the insertion point I open the block in BEDIT and shift the geometry appropriatly.

Here is one method as put forth by Michael Beall who is the author of Michael's Corner here at CADTutor.

http://www.augi.com/library/quick-tip-how-to-change-the-insertion-point-of-a-block

This was one of the articles I was referring to that didn't help, hence why I said, "I know I can move the block around and change the origin, but what I need is to redefine the basepoint."

"I know I can move the block around and change the origin, but what I need is to redefine the basepoint."

How are you using the term basepoint? To be the basepoint and the origin of the block are the same thing.

Autodesk has created a bit of a mess with the terms "basepoint" and "insertion point" with regard to blocks. In a conventional block, the "basepoint" is the block origin (0,0) yet you can specify an entirely different "basepoint" while inserting a block. Dynamic Blocks further the confusion by allowing for the inclusion of Basepoint parameters that may or may not be coincident with anything mentioned in the above description.

Thus far, I'm unclear which the OP is trying to change.

When a block is first created AutoCAD asks us to specify a Base point (two words) and we can elect to Specify On-screen or Pick a point. Most users I know pick a point somewhere on the geometry.

When we add a block to a drawing via the Insert command we are prompted for an Insertion point (two words) and given the option to Specify On-screen or specify X, Y, and Z coordinates.

Michael Beall's tip probably should have used the words base point not insertion point in my opinion.

Maybe this article by Ellen Finkelstein will make things a little bit clearer?

http://www.ellenfinkelstein.com/acadblog/working-with-blocks-the-base-command-the-basepoint-option-and-the-basepoint-parameter/

When we add a block to a drawing via the Insert command we are prompted for an Insertion point (two words) and given the option to Specify On-screen or specify X, Y, and Z coordinates.

just to muddy the water some more, I was actually referring to the "Basepoint" (one word) option that comes after the "Insertion Point" prompt during Insert command. :)

Command: INSERT

Specify insertion point or [basepoint/Scale/Rotate]:

When a block is first created AutoCAD asks us to specify a Base point (two words) and we can elect to Specify On-screen or Pick a point. Most users I know pick a point somewhere on the geometry.

Michael Beall's tip probably should have used the words base point not insertion point in my opinion.

Maybe this article by Ellen Finkelstein will make things a little bit clearer?

http://www.ellenfinkelstein.com/acadblog/working-with-blocks-the-base-command-the-basepoint-option-and-the-basepoint-parameter/

I read this article too. The Basepoint parameter mentioned here is exactly what I'm talking about, but the article is no help to me as it doesn't address how to move the basepoint to another location once you placed it. For example, say I have object snap turned on and I snap the Basepoint to the incorrect position and don't realize it until I close the block editor. If I open the editor back up, it does not show where the current position of the basepoint is and if I try the basepoint parameter again, it gives me:

** Base point parameter already exists in block definition. **

My question: is there any way to move the basepoint using the basepoint parameter shown in the article mentioned in the above quote AFTER the basepoint parameter command has already been used without having to go back and undo the initial basepoint placement.

AutoCAD has nothing built in that will allow you to change a block's basepoint without either exploding it, or entering the Block editor. LeeMac's lisp is your best option.

I use an older version of it (CBIR - Change Block Insertion Retain position) but the current version works the same.

1) Start the lisp

2) pick the block

3) Pick a new basepoint

... couldn't be any easier ;)

Block Basepoint.gif

AutoCAD has nothing built in that will allow you to change a block's basepoint without either exploding it, or entering the Block editor. LeeMac's lisp is your best option.

I use an older version of it (CBIR - Change Block Insertion Retain position) but the current version works the same.

1) Start the lisp

2) pick the block

3) Pick a new basepoint

... couldn't be any easier ;)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53459[/ATTACH]

Yes, this will work fine. It just seems crazy to me that AutoCAD doesn't have something built in that would allow you to do the same thing. Thank you for your time, everyone.

• 10 months later...

For anyone else still having this issue I thought I would reply.

If, when you try to place a basepoint parameter the response is: ** Base point parameter already exists in block definition. ** then you need to delete (or move) the existing basepoint. The problem is that sometimes you can't see it. I recently had this exact same problem working with 3rd party blocks. The blocks had been defined thousands of feet off of the 0,0 point, and the defined basepoint was thousands of feet off from that in the other direction. I had to zoom WAY out to see the existing basepoint, but once I found it, I was able to delete it a redefine a new basepoint.

Basically, if there is a basepoint already defined, you should be able to see it and manipulate it. If you can't, then there may be a visibility setting issue or corruption issue.

Also, there is no need for a LISP solution here if everything is working normally. Just go into the block editor and manipulate the basepoint like any other object.

Edited by FerrousJack
forgot something!

• 3 years later...

Good day everyone, 

If anyone is still having this issue, one quick way to delete existing base point (when you are in the block editor) is to use QS / QSEL / Quick Select command, Object type = Base Point Parameter, Operator = Select All, click OK and this should select the base point, wherever it may be.

This worked for me, I hope it works for you too.

Rafael.