Reference image is missing in Autocad drawing Autocad 2014

Sengna

I opened one cad drawing and i saw a rectangle and path said "c:/user/appdata/local/temp/$$4c.dib, is there a way that i can recover or refresh so the file that was attached show? Thanks

attachment.php?attachmentid=54909&cid=1&stc=1

Xref missing.jpg

If you have rights to the folder that the image is in yes. The file should be in a shared folder not in a "USER'S" folder. Copy the file to a shared folder then use the Reference Manager to repath to the new location.

If you have rights to the folder that the image is in yes. The file should be in a shared folder not in a "USER'S" folder. Copy the file to a shared folder then use the Reference Manager to repath to the new location.

Yes, i have permission to access the folder, i tried to follow the path but i could not find that specific file, it is gone.

It was in a user temp folder. Not a good place to keep something important. Temp folders should be emptied on a regular basis. Disk clean up utilities empty them for you.

It was in a user temp folder. Not a good place to keep something important. Temp folders should be emptied on a regular basis. Disk clean up utilities empty them for you.

Thanks RobDraw, i am glad to know that.

Have you tried to find a copy of the file in another location?

Yes, i spent time look through it but i didn't see it. It has been deleted.

Yes, i spent time look through it but i didn't see it. It has been deleted.

More like just hidden from normal users views, sent it (hard drive) to the FBI or Homeland Security and yell them its a map of the White House they'll find it. :)

Was it emailed to you or e-transmitted? Probably, since that original path is the same one that email attachments are kept in. What usually loses files like this is that the recipient of the email failed to save the attachment, and the email has since been deleted. If this is the case simply have it re-sent.

Was it emailed to you or e-transmitted? Probably, since that original path is the same one that email attachments are kept in. What usually loses files like this is that the recipient of the email failed to save the attachment, and the email has since been deleted. If this is the case simply have it re-sent.

That is not going to be the case for most people. My email attachments are kept in the email until I save them to a location of my choosing.

That is not going to be the case for most people. My email attachments are kept in the email until I save them to a location of my choosing.
I did mention that the email gets deleted before the recipient saves the attachment. Most people would save the attachment first, like you and I, but then they would not be asking where it went afterwards.

The OP temp file path is not similar enough to my email temp folder, so I am guessing as to why it existed in a temp file.

My point was, if it was in email, get it re-sent and move on.

I don't think AutoCAD saves a path like that unless that's where the file was when it was originally referenced or if the user saves the path. In other words, the path had to be assigned by a user. I see no evidence that the file was emailed but if that were the case, the OP may not have ever had the image file.

but if that were the case, the OP may not have ever had the image file.
Yeah, that too. It could be the path on the "other" computer.

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files

Those Temp Folder paths and similar Temp Folders, are where your ZIP Files, Email Attachments, even drawings, etc. opened from your Email and Websites (like CADTutor), etc. are located. You have to save them to another location before using them in AutoCAD as attachments.

I guess, you just put that image in AutoCAD straight from the source without actually saving to a folder first.

You need to go back to where the Image originally came from and save it to somewhere more secure.

If those were small image files you should consider embedding them.

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files

Those Temp Folder paths and similar Temp Folders, are where your ZIP Files, Email Attachments, even drawings, etc. opened from your Email and Websites (like CADTutor), etc. are located.

That makes sense. I would hope that the temp file also gets deleted after closing the file? I usually save first, then open any attachments.

Perhaps, I have my Browser set to dump temp file and folders as well as run CCLeaner regularly.

Yes, I even have a folder to save stuff I look at from CADTutor, even if the folders aren't deleted, a crash could corrupt them.

I'm also not sure if AutoCAD knows what a .dib bitmap is, anybody here reference a .dib before?

I'm also not sure if AutoCAD knows what a .dib bitmap is, anybody here reference a .dib before?

Apparently it is, since AutoCAD let it be inserted. I get a warning when trying to attach a file format that is not recognized by AutoCAD.