Re-locating Solid model to different origin

3Ddesiner1960

After I had modeled a part, I found out the Part XYZ Origin was changed to new location.

It is most important for the origin so that I can insert part in at that location for assembly. How do I move a finished Solid model XYZ origin to new location.

Move the Sketch? I wish there was a way to select object and re-locate the XYZ origin by type in the new XYZ.:( Origin was on middle of the bottom and now it need to be Inside the part for an example

Part9.jpg

Edited by 3Ddesiner1960

How did the part move from the origin?

If your part needs to be at the origin and everything was designed parametrically around other features then you should be able to just adjust the original sketch. If you really need to move it and can't go back and fix the sketch location then go to Insert>Features>Move/Copy. Select the body to move and then select manually enter values or use the Constraints option. The issue with constraints on something like this is that you need to have a vertex, can't be a sketch point since you are moving the body, not the sketch. Another option is to create a new Coordinate system at the center of your part.

I highly suggest you "roll back" the feature tree up to your first feature and try to move your original sketch. Then roll each feature in the tree one at a time to make sure they update properly.

I made the front bottom face center of the parts origin, but after I was finished the model my co-worker who I was modeling his CAD file into solid works for decides he what's the origin point in the center of a 29MM square part and 10mm back from the face.

I never had to change origin point in a solid model before. it is easy in AutoCAD, but I been using solid works now for 2 1/2 years now and still learning and AutoCAD for 30 years. Thanks it worked. I found that Insert>Features>Move/Copy info on youtube but it wouldn't work for me. I had some License issue, but after I rebooted my PC it seemed to work. We work off the network

Thanks

Edited by 3Ddesiner1960

• 2 weeks later...

Like shift1313 said, edit your original sketch and if everything in the tree was created in correct relation

it should work just fine.

You can even make a configuration for each and switch back and forth if you like...